PDA

View Full Version : Anomalies I Have Noticed In Lion ....

harcosparky
Sep 6, 2011, 07:20 PM
Let me preface this by saying I do a lot of photographic work.

I deal with files that I shoot both in RAW and JPG formats, as well as files I receive from others via the net.

Anomaly #1:

Files I shoot are from a Canon 5D2 DSLR in which the same shot is saved in two formats ... RAW and JPG.

The camera puts all files in a single folder, I copy that folder from the camera card onto the computer. Once the copy is done , in finder I select VIEW/ARRANGE BY/KIND. What I expect is all RAW images to be listed above the JPG images, or at least the two kinds of files to be grouped together. However that is not what occurs, the JPG files are still list in amongst the RAW file even a little out of order.

In previous versions of OSX it would separate the files by kind.

Anomaly #2:

Files I get from others are sent to me in ZIP or some other compressed format.

The files are unzipped into a folder created by LION.

Every time I go to open a downloaded JPG I get this warning .....

" image1234.jpg " is an application downloaded from the internet. Are you sure you want to open it?

These are just a couple of anomalies I have noticed using LION so far.

Not sure how they will affect my decision to stay with LION or to move back to SNOW LEOPARD, but I am considering the move back. ( at least for now )

alexbates
Sep 6, 2011, 07:28 PM
Not sure about the first in your list, but the second is for a little extra security. If I'm not mistaken, the same message was shown in Snow Leopard.

If you are for example searching Google images, on occasion an image you click will automatically download to your Mac without previewing it first. If the downloaded JPG file was maliciously crafted (in a similar way PDFs have been made to exploit iOS), your Mac could be infected. So posting the warning is just a way to inform the user that an unrecognized file in the "Downloads" folder (or elsewhere) came from the web. I do understand how it is annoying if the zip files you are opening have 20 or more pictures...

Are your .zip files containing the JPGs downloaded from the web?

harcosparky
Sep 6, 2011, 07:30 PM
Not sure about the first in your list, but the second is for a little extra security. If I'm not mistaken, the same message was shown in Snow Leopard.

I have Snow Leopard on my 24" iMac and handle files from the same source on there and have not seen that message for any image files.

The only time I see it on Snow Leopard is when I download a program.

hayesk
Sep 6, 2011, 08:35 PM
I've seen it in Snow Leopard. Downloaded, from a card, and transferred from iChat.