PDA

View Full Version : Deutsche Telekom Thinks Something's Happening on September 7th

MacRumors
Sep 7, 2011, 12:23 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/07/deutsche-telekom-thinks-somethings-happening-on-september-7th/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/Keynote-500x332.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/Keynote.jpg)
Back in August (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/12/apple-to-hold-media-event-on-september-8th-2011/), Japanese site Kodawarisan claimed that Apple would be holding their usual fall media event on September 7th. The report was quickly refuted (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/12/no-apple-media-event-on-september-7th/) by The Loop who said "Apple will not have an event or launch the next iPhone on September 7th."

But on Tuesday, AppDated.de had heard (http://www.appdated.de/2011/09/telekom-apple-media-event-schon-morgen-iphone-5-vorstellung/) from two Deutsche Telekom sources that the company is expecting some sort of "press conference" from Apple on the 7th (Wednesday). One source specifically said it won't be launching the iPhone 5, however.

We've posted this just for interest at this late hour. Apple certainly won't be holding a full press conference without any prior notice, but they may issue a press release or send out media invites. We found it interesting that it corresponded with the original Kodawarisan date. Apple typically issues their press releases at 8:30am Eastern.

Article Link: Deutsche Telekom Thinks Something's Happening on September 7th (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/07/deutsche-telekom-thinks-somethings-happening-on-september-7th/)

petvas
Sep 7, 2011, 12:28 AM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/07/deutsche-telekom-thinks-somethings-happening-on-september-7th/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/Keynote.jpg)

Back in August (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/12/apple-to-hold-media-event-on-september-8th-2011/), Japanese site Kodawarisan claimed that Apple would be holding their usual fall media event on September 7th. The report was quickly refuted (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/12/no-apple-media-event-on-september-7th/) by The Loop who said "Apple will not have an event or launch the next iPhone on September 7th."

But on Tuesday, AppDated.de had heard (http://www.appdated.de/2011/09/telekom-apple-media-event-schon-morgen-iphone-5-vorstellung/) from two Deutsche Telekom sources that the company is expecting some sort of "press conference" from Apple on the 7th (Wednesday). One source specifically said it won't be launching the iPhone 5, however.

We've posted this just for interest at this late hour. Apple certainly won't be holding a full press conference without any prior notice, but they may issue a press release or send out media invites. We found it interesting that it corresponded with the original Kodawarisan date. Apple typically issues their press releases at 8:30am Eastern.

Article Link: Deutsche Telekom Thinks Something's Happening on September 7th (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/07/deutsche-telekom-thinks-somethings-happening-on-september-7th/)

I guess we will have to wait and see. Apple will send the invites when they choose to. There is nothing we can do, so I suggest we relax and do something else in the meantime, something more meaningful.

ModestForumName
Sep 7, 2011, 12:31 AM
At this stage in the game, I'm getting giddy waiting for the invites. If they've been holding hardware this long it's bound to be worth it. Sooner please. I lost my iP4 Friday :(

Bartboy919
Sep 7, 2011, 12:33 AM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

My iPhone 3GS is pretty much dead at this point, I need a new phone!

Reach9
Sep 7, 2011, 12:34 AM
But... that's today! Well let's all wait and see what happens. But i highly doubt it'll be anything significant.

It would be pretty depressing to hear "Hello guys, just wanted to say, the iPhone 5 has been postponed and will be launching in the coming months" or something.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

I think one more "please" would've done it, but now i don't know if it'll happen..

dethmaShine
Sep 7, 2011, 12:36 AM
A bigger screen or 'Hello Mango'.

gpat
Sep 7, 2011, 12:38 AM
Something's happening today? Duh.

AHDuke99
Sep 7, 2011, 01:02 AM
I could see invitations going out, but nothing more. They certainly won't be announcing anything tomorrow.

bb426
Sep 7, 2011, 01:05 AM
But... that's today! Well let's all wait and see what happens. But i highly doubt it'll be anything significant.

It would be pretty depressing to hear "Hello guys, just wanted to say, the iPhone 5 has been postponed and will be launching in the coming months" or something.

I think one more "please" would've done it, but now i don't know if it'll happen..

¿Por favor?

stridemat
Sep 7, 2011, 01:31 AM

I think the forums would explode...

Caliber26
Sep 7, 2011, 01:42 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ugh. This is beyond nerve-recking. Fingers crossed for media event announcement tomorrow morning. I'm really expecting to be wowed. If they've deviated from their usual summer release and waited this long, it's GOT TO BE worth it, right?

Gman11
Sep 7, 2011, 01:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Something is happening. It's an environmental presentation about the new apple campus. No new tech.....

kiwiboi87
Sep 7, 2011, 02:03 AM

Maybe iOS5??

or something not at all

mstrmac
Sep 7, 2011, 02:32 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Would you believe my 3G lasts me all day. Granted it's sometimes slow, sometimes buggy running the last update and I'm not a heavy user. But it's usable. The whole tech world is anxiously waiting for iPhone 5. Amazing

alectheking
Sep 7, 2011, 02:49 AM

Something is happening. It's an environmental presentation about the new apple campus. No new tech.....

Umm isn't that Thursday the 8th?

Edit: http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/05/cupertino-to-hold-environmental-impact-meeting-regarding-apples-spaceship-campus-on-thursday/ yup, I was right.

Roy G Biv
Sep 7, 2011, 02:57 AM
Apple announces it's selling off it's Mac division?

saving107
Sep 7, 2011, 02:59 AM
Here is some information that keeps getting overlooked from the last earnings call Apple had on July 19th in regards to the September quarter (which ends Sept 30th):

Q: 12% downtick in revenue guidance is more than usual. Why?
A: Let me start with the units. For education buying season, September is weighted toward higher education, and we expect increases there. We also expect increases in iPhone, etc. There is also a future product transition that we are not going to talk about today. Those factors are already in our guidance. Confident in our pipeline. Tim Cook talking about some cannibalization of Mac by iPad. But also cannibalizing Windows. Very happy with 14% growth in Mac.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/19/apple-reports-record-breaking-q3-2011/

Tim says that Apple expects Mac and iPhone sales to go up this month, but in the future transition he is not referring to either of those products. Something is going to happen this month, but will it be today?

Yumunum
Sep 7, 2011, 03:09 AM
It's only 1AM and my day's already lame. Maybe invites will be sent out, and I'll get cheered up a bit!

Cuz it's all about me, right? Right?

kiwiboi87
Sep 7, 2011, 03:41 AM

Was there not talk of a new Mac line?
Maybe it's just the iPod music event? And a full iOS 5 icloud preview. With GMS of both going live?

Maybe they have cloned steve, and are making a iclone line??

locust76
Sep 7, 2011, 04:27 AM

... to HP

Kentochan
Sep 7, 2011, 05:02 AM
WHY MUST I BE IN SCHOOL!!!! Ugh, I wish I could stay home for these kinds of things :(

Cod3rror
Sep 7, 2011, 05:08 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Honestly, I don't give a **** anymore!

Apple really overplayed their rumour and hype game this year.

I lost all interest,I don't care who said what, it'll be released when it's released, whatever...

Shrink
Sep 7, 2011, 05:45 AM
I think the forums would explode...

Well, that will certainly scare Apple. :eek: :p

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I lost all interest,I don't care who said what, it'll be released when it's released, whatever...

Not that Apple needs me to defend it, but did Apple overplay hype and rumor, or did sites like MR overplay hype and rumor?

This is not intended to be a criticism because, of course, that's what MR does - "R" = rumor.
;) :rolleyes:

adrian.oconnor
Sep 7, 2011, 06:10 AM

Of course! And that's why you're here, on MacRumors, posting about it. Because you don't care. I see. ;)

spazzcat
Sep 7, 2011, 06:34 AM

Maybe iOS5??

or something not at all

I'm thinking iOS5 goes GM this week, or very early next week...

bushido
Sep 7, 2011, 06:54 AM
Maybe the update is so little that they just put a new front page on the apple page and a press release ^^

Already the 7th here so where is it?

deellow
Sep 7, 2011, 06:58 AM
Media invites should begin to flow soon, so I wouldn't at all be surprised if it happens as early as 30 minutes from now!

moel
Sep 7, 2011, 07:11 AM
20 minutes to go, assuming that new york is on eastern time, and my brain is still working...

I can't help but feel this is like the minellium bug, we're just going to sit watch it tick over and nothing happens.

NightFox
Sep 7, 2011, 07:13 AM

I don't think they're likely to declare the postponement of a product that they've not yet announced or even acknowledged yet!

bushido
Sep 7, 2011, 07:19 AM
Ur telling me a telekom employer has a clue about anything? Thats a first

Arent any apple announcements usually published around 7pm gmt +1

EmbraceTheOne
Sep 7, 2011, 07:31 AM
Well It's 8:30 Eastern!

iPhysicist
Sep 7, 2011, 07:33 AM
Some Telekom employees MAY know more than you could ever dream of. But usually the media event location is known before the invitations go out to the press.

And Bushido... just for your enlightenment THIS is a First
http://www.roehr-stolberg.de/images/bw_bleicolor_fg_illu_first_gr.gif

Edit: "First" is a german term for the top cover stone of a roof ^

deellow
Sep 7, 2011, 07:37 AM
Some Telekom employees MAY know more than you could ever dream of. But usually the media event location is known before the invitations go out to the press.

And Bushido... just for your enlightenment THIS is a First
Image (http://www.roehr-stolberg.de/images/bw_bleicolor_fg_illu_first_gr.gif)

ok, what is this picture?

grubworth
Sep 7, 2011, 07:37 AM
oh well let the waiting continue.

guzhogi
Sep 7, 2011, 07:54 AM
Anyone know when Apple will update its iPods? They usually update them in September, right? Or do you think they'll do one big iPhone, iPod & iOS thing maybe in October?

benedetti
Sep 7, 2011, 08:01 AM
There are some rumors about iTunes Store in new countries.

gorgeousninja
Sep 7, 2011, 08:15 AM

Who to? HP?

moel
Sep 7, 2011, 08:22 AM
Well..that was exciting.

MannieSolo
Sep 7, 2011, 08:24 AM
My iphone is on its last breathe im hoping for an announcement

troop231
Sep 7, 2011, 08:42 AM
Here is some information that keeps getting overlooked from the last earnings call Apple had on July 19th in regards to the September quarter (which ends Sept 30th):

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/19/apple-reports-record-breaking-q3-2011/

Tim says that Apple expects Mac and iPhone sales to go up this month, but in the future transition he is not referring to either of those products. Something is going to happen this month, but will it be today?

The quarter ends on Sept 24th actually :) And remember how Apple is opening 30 new stores by this date, including the Hong Kong one? This can only mean one thing :cool:

g-7
Sep 7, 2011, 08:43 AM
There are some rumors about iTunes Store in new countries.

Poland. Please, let it be Poland. Or just one iTunes Store for the whole EU.

chercm
Sep 7, 2011, 08:59 AM
i have yet to see any news being released

Caliber26
Sep 7, 2011, 09:08 AM
The quarter ends on Sept 24th actually :) And remember how Apple is opening 30 new stores by this date, including the Hong Kong one? This can only mean one thing :cool:

Ugh! It makes sense, but I hope you're wrong! The 24th seems like an eternity. I don't really need the new iPhone right now, I just want this anticipation to cease. I don't care if they tell me it's November 28th, for that matter. I just want confirmation of a new (hopefully redesigned) phone and its official release date.

Spooner83
Sep 7, 2011, 09:23 AM
Uh, it's the 7th, where is the announcement?

troop231
Sep 7, 2011, 09:23 AM
Ugh! It makes sense, but I hope you're wrong! The 24th seems like an eternity. I don't really need the new iPhone right now, I just want this anticipation to cease. I don't care if they tell me it's November 28th, for that matter. I just want confirmation of a new (hopefully redesigned) phone and its official release date.

Eh, don't worry, that date I said just means it's the end of the quarter, I'd assume for an event to happen earlier than that!

Austinjwalker
Sep 7, 2011, 09:26 AM
has anyone stopped and thought for a second, "Hey, the two Deutsche Telekom employees were wrong"? Just because they said they're expecting one doesn't mean it'll happen. I'm expecting an iPhone 5 next week, but that means nothing.

BowTheMan89
Sep 7, 2011, 09:29 AM
I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!

/places gun to temple :eek:

TannerH
I'm hoping for an iPhone without a required data plan...

Stevesbodyguard
Get ready for 25 false rumors about the Press Conference date. I have had enough of the rumors about the iPhone 5 for a lifetime...anybody heard anything about the iPhone 8? :rolleyes:

bushido
Sep 7, 2011, 09:36 AM
has anyone stopped and thought for a second, "Hey, the two Deutsche Telekom employees were wrong"? Just because they said they're expecting one doesn't mean it'll happen. I'm expecting an iPhone 5 next week, but that means nothing.

they know *beep* anyway, whenever i call them about an issue every employee says something else

nickdelvecchio
Sep 7, 2011, 09:38 AM
Get ready for 25 false rumors about the Press Conference date. I have had enough of the rumors about the iPhone 5 for a lifetime...anybody heard anything about the iPhone 8? :rolleyes:

they stopped usinng numbers after iPhone 6 remember? it's called the EYE phone with new retina-embedded display, some chip set on your brain called cook-control and to get to the home screen you just have to blink. i'm sold!

Mattsasa
Sep 7, 2011, 09:42 AM

oh God no!!! Please please be wrong!! I can't wait 2 more weeks!!!!

MatDave
Sep 7, 2011, 10:02 AM
it's really brain torturing!! i wish i could think about something else lol. it better be GOOD! I wanna be mind blown!

Acorn
Sep 7, 2011, 11:03 AM
it would be nice to see a mac pro update. it hasnt been updated since forever. maybe they are giving up on desktops

lucas123
Sep 7, 2011, 11:25 AM
Hmmm...

Last night, I overheard the sales chick at the local At&t store tell a customer that there would be an Apple announcement today.

This was after I had asked her about the release date for the Samsung Galaxy S II, and she had told me..."We don't know that kind of stuff".

Reach9
Sep 7, 2011, 11:50 AM
Wow, that was a bummer. I guess that's why it's not front page.

cvaldes
Sep 7, 2011, 12:03 PM
it would be nice to see a mac pro update. it hasnt been updated since forever. maybe they are giving up on desktops
Nah, they recently updated the iMac and Mac mini. Most likely, they are waiting for Intel to release the appropriate chips for the Mac Pro.

The Mac Pro uses server-grade chips (e.g. Xeon) which tend to be late in the release schedule in a given chip design.

blunti
Sep 7, 2011, 12:15 PM
I guess those Deutsche Telekom employees were wrong ;)

YoungLew
Sep 7, 2011, 02:29 PM
I have no plans to purchase the iPhone 5 (Will wait for the 6), but the suspense is still annoying nonetheless.

axual
Sep 7, 2011, 03:59 PM

Apple did no such thing. Bloggers and self proclaimed technology journalists and analysts hyped this. Apple has not said anything.

The-Pro
Sep 7, 2011, 04:57 PM
absolutely nothing :D

ahoover
Sep 8, 2011, 12:42 AM
Nothing to see here, move along,.....:)

charlituna
Sep 9, 2011, 09:08 PM
I could see invitations going out, but nothing more. They certainly won't be announcing anything tomorrow.

While no they didn't announce anything I wouldn't be shocked if in fact there were no invites ever. Just one day in a week or two we see the site go down over night and it comes back up with a new banner and a press release announcing new iPods that ship out right away and the iPhone info with a release date say a week later perhaps with pre-orders and reservations, perhaps not. Add in some pretty photos and videos and that's that

After all, a fall release of an iPhone is already off script. Why not go all the way and ditch the whole big event also.