Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maddin4j

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
Hello everyone!

How do I fix the permissions of my Home folder which is stored on my secondary hard drive? i.e. the Home folder is not on the same hard drive where the OS is installed so I cannot use Disk Utility to do so.

Note: I moved my Home folder from the primary hard drive to my secondary hard drive by using System Preferences > Users & Groups > Advanced Option (right click on user account after unlocking padlock) > Home directory.

Thanks!

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Hello everyone!

How do I fix the permissions of my Home folder which is stored on my secondary hard drive? i.e. the Home folder is not on the same hard drive where the OS is installed so I cannot use Disk Utility to do so.

Note: I moved my Home folder from the primary hard drive to my secondary hard drive by using System Preferences > Users & Groups > Advanced Option (right click on user account after unlocking padlock) > Home directory.

Thanks!

I would suggest, if not aleardy done, that you create a Users folder on your secondary HD which will hold all the user home folders. You will need to use the terminal app to change the owner, group and permissions accordingly of the Users folder on secondary HD that matches exactly those of /Users. Then all you have to do is login as ther user and use finder to copy the users home folder from /Users to Users on the secondary HD. Of course you need to change the home folder location in system preferences Users & Groups.

This is how I have moved the users home folders from my SSD boot HD to a secondary HD. Also, don't get rid of the /Users on the boot HD as iTunes uses it.

maddin4j

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
I am sorry but my question is not how to move my Home folder. As I said already, I moved my Home folder in "Users & Groups" in the System Preferences.app.

My question is how to FIX permissions of my Home folder which is on my secondary drive. Disk Utility only lets me fix permissions of my primary hard drive but not my secondary.

Thanks for trying to help though :)

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I am sorry but my question is not how to move my Home folder. As I said already, I moved my Home folder in "Users & Groups" in the System Preferences.app.

My question is how to FIX permissions of my Home folder which is on my secondary drive. Disk Utility only lets me fix permissions of my primary hard drive but not my secondary.

Thanks for trying to help though :)

You will use the terminal app to change the owner, group and permissions of the users home directory as I stated in my previous post. What issue are you running into that you think you need to correct the permissions on the users home folder on the secondary HD? If you dragged the user data, logged in as the user, to the secondary HD from the boot HD then you should not need to fix the permissions on the users home folder.

Disk Utility uses receipts to determine how to correct permissions which are usually part of the install process on the boot HD. In the case of the secondary HD their won't be any receipts, hence not being able to fix permissions.

Last edited:

maddin4j

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
Thanks but I just fixed my problem. Mail search wasn't working properly but then I figured out what the problem was (had the Mail folder excluded under Spotlight preferences).

I thought fixing permissions of my Home folder would do it.

Thanks for trying to help me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.