PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Releases iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G TV Commercial

MacRumors
Sep 7, 2011, 09:51 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/07/verizon-releases-ipad-2-wi-fi-3g-tv-commercial/)

Verizon yesterday released a new television commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKBebh_3Ub8) advertising the iPad 2 (via 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/06/verizon-airs-their-own-ipad-2-ad-showcases-3g-connectivity/)).

aKBebh_3Ub8
The ad, which utilizes a portion of Bow Wow Wow's "I Want Candy" as the soundtrack, unsurprisingly touts the 3G capabilities of the iPad 2 models offered for Verizon's network.It's faster, thinner, and lighter, and with the power of Verizon, you can stay connected almost anywhere. Let's say you want to download a bestseller at the beach...done. Or, if you want to stay connected when you're miles away from Wi-Fi...no problem. You can even tweet when you're nowhere near your followers. And you can post pictures too. So, what do you think?

I'll take it.Apple traditionally handles the majority of advertising for its iOS devices, sometimes with carrier branding appearing at the end of a commercial, but carriers have on occasion released their own ads promoting the devices alongside their networks.

Article Link: Verizon Releases iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G TV Commercial (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/07/verizon-releases-ipad-2-wi-fi-3g-tv-commercial/)

RossMc
Sep 7, 2011, 09:58 AM
"Those are the 3 worst situations to use an iPad. Verizon is asking for a class action lawsuit. Apple's ad would have you buying a book at night, taking pictures in the day and posting status indoors."

So true!

DonSqueak
Sep 7, 2011, 10:04 AM
"Those are the 3 worst situations to use an iPad. Verizon is asking for a class action lawsuit. Apple's ad would have you buying a book at night, taking pictures in the day and posting status indoors."

So true!

Yes, absolutely. Watching this made me wince.

Gemütlichkeit
Sep 7, 2011, 10:05 AM
Better than verizons last commercial where the chick raddled off the processor to some customer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fz6Z6S3Q5M

this one.

DonSqueak
Sep 7, 2011, 10:08 AM
Better than verizons last commercial where the chick raddled off the processor to some customer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fz6Z6S3Q5M

this one.

But I like how the iPad one says “sequences shortened” where the other tablet had all its “screens simulated”. :D

ˇalgiris
Sep 7, 2011, 10:14 AM

So true!

Yes, because everyone is like you.

Lotso
Sep 7, 2011, 10:17 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Verizon really needs to leave the commercial making to Apple.

Mad Mac Maniac
Sep 7, 2011, 10:17 AM

So true!

Well the ad is trying to emphasize using the verizon network. So they use three outside, far from wifi, scenarios. A beach, a park, and a camping trip. I think it's a fine ad. Not as good as Apple's, but fine.

jrlcopy
Sep 7, 2011, 10:18 AM

So true!

I can't imagine these airing without being vetted by apple first though..

JBaker122586
Sep 7, 2011, 11:01 AM
That was pretty bad. I'm surprised Apple allowed it.

jbennardo
Sep 7, 2011, 11:03 AM
At least they showed the device and what you might do with it. Usually those stupid droid commercials have lightning bolts, people in lab coats or some girl dressed in leather swinging a sword.

Hastings101
Sep 7, 2011, 11:10 AM
I actually liked this ad, it wasn't cheesy like Apple's iPad commercials have been lately. Tired of those cutesy commercials with the piano playing while some man says semi-awkward things.

MacDarcy
Sep 7, 2011, 11:23 AM
There ain't no way in hell you'd be able to read the iPad screen at the beach. I love the iPad, but what a joke. That is just false advertising if I ever saw it. Wrong wrong wrong. Shame on Verizon.

rodneyh
Sep 7, 2011, 12:05 PM
There ain't no way in hell you'd be able to read the iPad screen at the beach. I love the iPad, but what a joke. That is just false advertising if I ever saw it. Wrong wrong wrong. Shame on Verizon.

I've actually had success using the iPad outdoors and on the beach. The trick is to turn the brightness up all the way, angle it without glare and wear non-polarized sunglasses.

tann
Sep 7, 2011, 12:09 PM
Apple's own adverts are far more elegant.

But I suppose this is more to show off their own network.

Skika
Sep 7, 2011, 12:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.823; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I think it's decent.

phpmaven
Sep 7, 2011, 12:58 PM
I actually liked this ad, it wasn't cheesy like Apple's iPad commercials have been lately. Tired of those cutesy commercials with the piano playing while some man says semi-awkward things.

Cheesy? Wow, it's a good thing you don't work with Apple's advertising people. :rolleyes:

nburwell
Sep 7, 2011, 01:08 PM
Pretty awful commercial if you ask me. Leave the commericals to Apple themselves.

nickpro
Sep 7, 2011, 01:09 PM
damn i was waiting for that sales guy to tell the lady about the iPad's dual-core A5 chipset :D

Hastings101
Sep 7, 2011, 03:25 PM
Cheesy? Wow, it's a good thing you don't work with Apple's advertising people. :rolleyes:

I know, I'd hate to be involved in making something so lame.

spillproof
Sep 8, 2011, 12:20 AM
The customer was attractive. The commercial was 3/5 stars. The only parts I didn't like were the shots in the Verizon store with the sales person. (No, its not becasue he was.... not white.)

Just my opinion that doesn't matter.

Mad Mac Maniac
Sep 8, 2011, 12:15 PM
At least they showed the device and what you might do with it. Usually those stupid droid commercials have lightning bolts, people in lab coats or some girl dressed in leather swinging a sword.

Agree. The thing that bothers me every time I see it is in the galaxy tab commercial.

A guy uses a 10" tablet to record video of running horses while riding in a jeep. Who would do that? Was the tablet really the ONLY video camera he had with him?

jbennardo
Sep 8, 2011, 12:31 PM
A guy uses a 10" tablet to record video of running horses while riding in a jeep. Who would do that? Was the tablet really the ONLY video camera he had with him?

I'll even go out on a limb and say someone could actually want to do that. :p The thing I find with droid commercials is they rail on specs and abstract things like LTE or what the name of the processor is. I much prefer Apple's slice of life approach.

optophobia
Oct 3, 2011, 10:37 PM
Just watched this ad again and heard the part " You can even tweet when you're nowhere near your followers. "

Isn't that the whole point of twitter ? Or does everyone sit next to their followers while tweeting ?