Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fade-

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
This happened on my 2011 11" MBA i7

After working on a word 2011 file for the entire day, when i tried to save it i couldn't. keep getting this error message:

"A file error has occurred. Check your network connections or make sure the
disk is properly inserted and not defective."

I am not using any network or external drives, the word file was on my desktop and i was saving it to the same file on the desktop. Had even tried to paste it to another new document and save, but that failed to save as well.

Would this be a problem with my SSD drive? Lion? Or was it buggy programming by MS?

anyhow, how do i check the performance and health of my SSD?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It sounds like an application error. SSD errors aren't very common. Try printing it to a PDF if copying and pasting to another file doesn't work.

If you are worried about the SSD, run Disk Utility, or press CMD-D while rebooting to enter system diagnostics.

brrrrrrram

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2018
Today I had exactly the same problem.

I solved it.

It is a Word issue.
saving it under another name, in the cloud or on a usb stick did not work.

I had a document with tracked changes on and i inserted a formula in the text.
After accepting the formula change, I could save the file as before.

This happened on my 2011 11" MBA i7

After working on a word 2011 file for the entire day, when i tried to save it i couldn't. keep getting this error message:

"A file error has occurred. Check your network connections or make sure the
disk is properly inserted and not defective."

I am not using any network or external drives, the word file was on my desktop and i was saving it to the same file on the desktop. Had even tried to paste it to another new document and save, but that failed to save as well.

Would this be a problem with my SSD drive? Lion? Or was it buggy programming by MS?

anyhow, how do i check the performance and health of my SSD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.