Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I'm thinking about using an iPad for showing my portfolio to clients or galleries in addition to, or instead of a traditional print porfolio .

I have a web-based gallery , created from LR3 (non-flash version as well as flash version). Any reason to think that an ipad app like PadFolio or FlexFolio would present the image with better overall quality than my web-gallery ?

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I'm thinking about using an iPad for showing my portfolio to clients or galleries in addition to, or instead of a traditional print porfolio .

I have a web-based gallery , created from LR3 (non-flash version as well as flash version). Any reason to think that an ipad app like PadFolio or FlexFolio would present the image with better overall quality than my web-gallery ?

I'm not sure if thats a good idea. The iPad can be very unforgiving on pictures when you pinch to zoom. They will pop due to the screen though. I just think a proper print would be better.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
I'm not sure if thats a good idea. The iPad can be very unforgiving on pictures when you pinch to zoom. They will pop due to the screen though. I just think a proper print would be better.

I don't know what kind of photos the OP would show, but I would never include any photo in a portfolio that doesn't look perfect at 100%. As long as the photo would be sharpened and resized to the maximum resolution that the iPad can show (zoomed in).

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
That's the direction I'm planning to go. By the time you figure in cost of materials, it's not that much more to invest in an iPad. But, I do a lot of motion graphics and video... so it makes sense to go in that direction. But for photography only? Might work if you go with a high enough resolution and make it super easy to navigate.

----------

If you hand your iPad to a client to have them gesture through your photos, why do you think they would stop to pinch and zoom? But, what you could do is hold the iPad and flip through the photos for them instead of handing it off to them.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
Hey guys,

There is an app called: Portfolio for the iPad. It is not bad. I use it and it seems to work well. I have not experienced any problems with it. It takes a few mins to learn but for the most part it is robust and easy to use.

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Some of my images have detail that can't be seen (without zooming in) on a tablet. and zooming doesn't allow you to take in the entire composition and overall impact of the image.

I'm printing images 12x18" (13x19 paper) for a print portfolio. having a tablet presentation in addition would be ideal (can't afford it yet).

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
13X19 in a portfolio is overkill or non-productive IMO. I would be intimidated hand-holding something that big. That's a wall hung view from a distance size print. By going that big, you are telling your client "Look how sharp my photos are" rather than "Look how great my composition skills are".

The main consideration in deciding between an app and a web gallery is accessibility. One goes anywhere and the other needs a Net connection. Lots of places don't have that.

I would do a hard copy letter size portfolio and a digital one. Then you have something for everyone. Not all people are comfortable with tablets.

Dale

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
13X19 in a portfolio is overkill or non-productive IMO. I would be intimidated hand-holding something that big. That's a wall hung view from a distance size print. By going that big, you are telling your client "Look how sharp my photos are" rather than "Look how great my composition skills are"....

Dale

I'll definitely consider your suggestion of a small print portfolio. it would also save me some $$. however, the impact of an image (not talking about sharpness) is sometimes minimized by small prints and images on websites. Some images seem to really come to life in larger prints. I feel that a person can easily enjoy looking at a 12x18 print at arm's length. they can see the overall composition and detail without the need to zoom(crop) the image. I will seriously consider a smaller size.. and would love to hear what others might have to say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.