Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timotay89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
So, I was having trouble with versions in both pages and numbers. It didn't work. No old versions would appear, just empty space there instead. I eventually found the folder that versions are kept in (200MB in a month, great...) and DID NOT edit anything in them. I decided to try to repair permissions to fix my problem. It worked!

However, it took that folder (again 200MB) and renamed it and then created a new one. All the old versions are unusable. I cannot open them, I can't add them to the new folder, nothing. So, the month of work to transfer all my word documents (usually means I had to recreate them, images and stuff) is lost except the newest copy. This might not make a difference except the only reason for moving them all to pages or numbers was to take advantage of versions.

Best part? Since it renamed the entire folder, the versions for ALL programs are now gone. Even the programs that worked before I had to repair permissions.

If anyone knows how to fix this, please tell me. I'm not at all happy about this. I was hoping this would prevent me from having to save all the printed copies of everything I make as all old versions of everything would be there. Clearly not.

timotay89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Wouldn't work. The problem has been there most of the time (not all of the time) since before 10.7.1 (I figured it was something that might be fixed in 10.7.1). Further, I NEVER changed the name of anything and the problem was there long before I even know that versions were stored in a certain folder. It's just annoying. There's no way of knowing exactly when it got messed up since I don't often going into versions (I've never gone to it except to look at it and to try and see what was wrong with it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.