PDA

View Full Version : Safari 5.1 Disaster.

BlackMangoTree
Sep 7, 2011, 09:47 PM
I have a 2011 MacMini 2.5 i5 with 8gb Ram. Every-time i launch Safari i get the beach ball of death for at least 20 - 30 seconds. I have even done a fresh install of Lion and just upgraded to 10.7.1 do not install any other apps and it still happens. Would happen under 10.7.0 as well.

It's driving me insane there has to be a solution.

Edit: This does not happen on any of my other Mac's

Darby67
Sep 7, 2011, 10:22 PM
Do you have an SSD?

BlackMangoTree
Sep 8, 2011, 02:04 AM
No SSD. It just the 2011 macMini i5 standard. Only upgraded the ram to 8gb

Hyper-X
Sep 8, 2011, 02:13 AM
Don't use Safari.

DJBBOX
Sep 8, 2011, 06:30 AM
do a hard format on that driver before reinstalling Lion on it. make sure that you clean and format that drive a few times before installing your OS. then do a fresh install and apply all updates before using safari. i think the reason is files on the drive are not really getting erased when you install Lion and you end up with different file version for the same file.

MonkeySee....
Sep 8, 2011, 06:38 AM
Have you tried resetting safari in the settings?

BlackMangoTree
Sep 8, 2011, 08:30 AM
do a hard format on that driver before reinstalling Lion on it. make sure that you clean and format that drive a few times before installing your OS. then do a fresh install and apply all updates before using safari. i think the reason is files on the drive are not really getting erased when you install Lion and you end up with different file version for the same file.

Formatted the drive multiple times including a 3 pass. Seems to make no difference.

Just have to keep Safari open all the time for now. I don't want to use any other browser in my opinion they are all pale compared to Safari.

Just a strange issue doesn't happen on any other mac of mine.

It also happens if i boot into Lion from an external FW800 HDD Safari beach balls for a good 20 seconds when launching.

Wont be formatting anymore since every time i re install Lion it's another 4 gb download when you have the tiny quotas we have here in Australia it all adds up.

DJBBOX
Sep 8, 2011, 05:15 PM
you should make a USB bootable install key. make the whole process way less stressful. maybe some file are getting corrupted while downloading them but i highly doubt it, since you already tried it more than once. but it seams like a software problem more than hardware, as the system is not freezing, instead just hangs/reloads there. i would definitely try the USB method and install all updates before you try anything as usual.

Lokheed
Sep 8, 2011, 10:17 PM
And you've disabled all your extensions and removed all plug-ins and it still exhibits this behaviour? What do your system logs say?

BlackMangoTree
Sep 8, 2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think i have found the problem. It seems to be a WD 1Tb external USB2 drive. When it's unplugged the issue does not happen when i reconnect it and launch Safari it beach balls again. I have 3 other 1tb FW800 HDD's and they don't cause the beach baling.

Every time i launch Safari the HHD wants to spin up and Safari beach balls till it's fully woken up.