PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to Lion, then sell machine?

marekkurlmann
Sep 7, 2011, 09:50 PM
I'm going to be buying a replacement for my MBP in about 2-3 months. I'd like to upgrade to Lion now, use it for 2-3 months, then wipe the HD, reinstall Lion, and sell the MBP with a clean install of Lion.

My question: will I be able to do this, or will the purchase of Lion being tied to my Apple ID (bought/downloaded via App Store) prevent me from doing this?

Kristijan
Sep 7, 2011, 10:09 PM
EDIT: Apologies, miss read your question. I'd too like to know the answer.

-Kristijan

niksimpsons
Sep 8, 2011, 01:24 AM
I'm going to be buying a replacement for my MBP in about 2-3 months. I'd like to upgrade to Lion now, use it for 2-3 months, then wipe the HD, reinstall Lion, and sell the MBP with a clean install of Lion.

My question: will I be able to do this, or will the purchase of Lion being tied to my Apple ID (bought/downloaded via App Store) prevent me from doing this?

:confused: what I understand is that you want to re-install your Lion and wanting to know whether doing this is ethical according to Apple or not?

In that case, Yes you can use Lion OS X any number of time after purchasing once from App Store. One of the best option is to create Boot DVD (Know how to create Boot DVD of Lion (http://www.macintosh-software.net/blog/mac-os-x-lion-dvd-creating-bootable-disk-for-your-mac-os-x-lion/)) and use it easliy when you need else you can use directly from Mac App Store using Apple ID and password that you have created during download of OS Lion.

marekkurlmann
Sep 8, 2011, 05:11 AM
One of the best option is to create Boot DVD (Know how to create Boot DVD of Lion) and use it easliy when you need else you can use directly from Mac App Store using Apple ID and password that you have created during download of OS Lion.

So the installation of Lion will always be tied to my Apple ID? This is what I want to avoid. If I'm going to sell the MBP, I don't want the person buying it to have to rely on my Apple ID.

In other words, is an installation of Lion tied to a machine (which can then be resold) or tied to a specific licensee (i.e., Apple ID)?

This isn't a trivial matter for anyone selling a Mac that has upgraded to Lion!

wpotere
Sep 8, 2011, 05:23 AM
So the installation of Lion will always be tied to my Apple ID? This is what I want to avoid. If I'm going to sell the MBP, I don't want the person buying it to have to rely on my Apple ID.

In other words, is an installation of Lion tied to a machine (which can then be resold) or tied to a specific licensee (i.e., Apple ID)?

Just use the install disks that you got with the machine to wipe the drive and install the old OS. Simple enough...

marekkurlmann
Sep 8, 2011, 05:27 AM
Sure, but no one wants to buy a computer with a two-year-old OS. If I've purchased the upgrade, then, at least karmically, I believe I'm entitled to sell the machine with the Lion upgrade installed.

Is this permitted? Is this possible?

aristobrat
Sep 8, 2011, 05:41 AM
It looks to be a violation of the Mac App Store license.

Scope of License: This license granted to you for the Licensed Application by Licensor is limited to a nontransferable license to use the Licensed Application on any Apple-branded products running iOS (including but not limited to iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch) (“iOS Devices”) or Mac OS X (“Mac Computers”), as applicable (collectively, “Apple Device(s)”) that you own or control and as permitted by the usage rules set forth in the Mac App Store, App Store and iBookstore Terms and Conditions (the “Usage Rules”). This license does not allow you to use the Licensed Application on any Apple Device that you do not own or control, and except as provided in the Usage Rules, you may not distribute or make the Licensed Application available over a network where it could be used by multiple devices at the same time. You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, transfer redistribute, or sublicense the Licensed Application and, if you sell your Mac Computer or iOS Device to a third party, you must remove the Licensed Application from the Mac Computer or iOS Device before doing so.
http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html#SALE

bigjobby
Sep 8, 2011, 06:07 AM
I wouldn't bother selling it with Lion. Probably more hassle than its worth.

If there are any issues with Lion and your MBP, you don't want any comeback from the buyer. Price the unit accordingly just in case a buyer wants to haggle you down for the lack of Lion or whatever excuse.

Keep it simple and good luck.

wpotere
Sep 8, 2011, 06:23 AM
Sure, but no one wants to buy a computer with a two-year-old OS. If I've purchased the upgrade, then, at least karmically, I believe I'm entitled to sell the machine with the Lion upgrade installed.

Is this permitted? Is this possible?

People are self entitled. :rolleyes: The two year old OS I assume is SL which is still a solid and better performing OS over Lion at this time. Can't see why this would be an issue. Also, just tell they buyer that they have to purchase it to be legal. Big deal...

gentlefury
Sep 8, 2011, 09:38 AM
You can restart your MBP in recovery mode....format reinstall lion, then when you startup for the first time it will be a fresh install. If the new owner wants to reinstall lion however they will have to buy it...since it will NOT be on their iTunes account. If you want tho, you could just create a backup disk of the OS and give it to them with that in case they need to reinstall.

niksimpsons
Sep 9, 2011, 04:27 AM

I think boot DVD can solve this problem. Create boot DVD of the Lion currently installed on the Mac and then provide that DVD to the person whom you are going to sell. So that that person can install Lion direct from DVD (Clean Install).

wpotere
Sep 9, 2011, 04:44 AM
I think boot DVD can solve this problem. Create boot DVD of the Lion currently installed on the Mac and then provide that DVD to the person whom you are going to sell. So that that person can install Lion direct from DVD (Clean Install).

You missed the point.... He would then be selling pirated software. My gosh, it is a whopping 30 USD. Sell the machine with the original OS and tell the buyer to get it himself!

zorinlynx
Sep 9, 2011, 02:49 PM
Burn the InstallESD.dmg from the Lion appbundle and include that with the machine when you sell it. This keeps the system from being tied in any way to your Apple ID, since the InstallESD is identical for all users. Then the new owner will be able to resintall the OS without issues.

Burning the InstallESD is your best friend. Everyone who runs Lion should do it. I don't even run Lion full time yet and I've done it!

killerrobot
Sep 9, 2011, 03:20 PM
Burn the InstallESD.dmg from the Lion appbundle and include that with the machine when you sell it. This keeps the system from being tied in any way to your Apple ID, since the InstallESD is identical for all users. Then the new owner will be able to resintall the OS without issues.

Burning the InstallESD is your best friend. Everyone who runs Lion should do it. I don't even run Lion full time yet and I've done it!

Again, this is in violation of the App Store License as listed by aristobrat.

@OP - If you really want the new owner to be able to have Lion installed, by them a $30 itunes card and include that with the sale.

zorinlynx
Sep 11, 2011, 02:03 PM
Again, this is in violation of the App Store License as listed by aristobrat.

@OP - If you really want the new owner to be able to have Lion installed, by them a $30 itunes card and include that with the sale.

I'm going to be realistic, even though people seem to be going entirely by the letter of the law in this thread.

1. The copy of Lion was paid for. Apple got their money.
2. The machine already had Lion on it when you decided to sell it.
3. Apple would prefer everyone run Lion anyway, as it makes support simpler.

Even though by STRICT letter of the law, you might be in violation, it's very doubtful that Apple is going to pursue action against you or the seller for doing this. In fact I'd say it's more likely you'll win the lottery even if you don't play at all.

This is one of those cases where morally something is okay, but legally may be in doubt. In the grand scheme it doesn't really matter. Apple got their money.

niksimpsons
Sep 12, 2011, 05:45 AM
I am very much agreed with the point of zorinlynx.Think it in another way and that is no one is suggesting here to sell the pirated software or DVD or violate any policy but whats the loss in preparing the DVD for backup purpose :) .

But still if want to go exactly as per Apple guideline, please ask him frankly to purchase new OS Lion from Mac store. The most safe and only solution I guess.

saulinpa
Sep 12, 2011, 07:36 AM
Should you let the buyer know that they can't re-install Lion since they won't own a license? Or give them the pirated version on DVD?

Also please add a fresh copy of iLife '11, iWork, Final Cut Pro, and Aperture to make it easier for them. Apple wants everyone to use their products so it's got to be OK.