Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gulag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Hi there. Thanks for any help on this, I really need these notes back. A bunch of my documents in Notes were showing up in the list twice (this has been happening a lot), so I went and delted the duplicates not realizing that both filenames were vanishing. Now several vital documents are gone representing a ton of work.

I haven't synced the iPad, so those files don't exist anywhere else. I haven't written anything to the iPad, so I hope there's some chance those Notes are still there. I can't find an "undelete" function anywhere. Is there any chance I can recover these Notes?

I use a PC at home, but I've got a mac at work if that's what's ncessary to recover the documents.

Pleeeeease?

Thanks for any help!

-bohus

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Download the trial version of Touch Copy (Windows) or PhoneView (Mac). If either of those apps sees your missing notes, the full version of the software (which you will have to pay for) can retrieve them.

However, I have to say, don't get your hopes up. There is no "Trash" in iOS. Typically, once you delete something it's irretrievable, because it's expected that you've backed it up in iTunes regularly. Going forward, if you don't want to sync, the built in Notes app is the last place you should consider storing anything. Try something either cloud based, like Evernote, or device based with cloud backup/sync. I use Notebooks for iPad for this sort of thing--it's 100x more useful than the native app, and I can back it up to Dropbox in a format easily read by my computer.

Best of luck!

gulag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Thansk so much for the advice. TouchCopy is a great program. Sadly, it didn't locate the fiels I trashed. If I get an ipad of my own, I'll definitely pick up TouchCopy. I find it very frustrating that I can't simply use the ipad as an external storage device, and iTunes has to be so involved. Also maddening that there's no undo for the trash. Yeesh.

I will further take your advice on picking up a more suitable app for writing, and I suppose I should get into this syncing thing much more. Using CLoud storage is also a great idea. These are still new ideas for me, not really part of my process, but good ideas all.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out so quickly!

avanmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2012
Austin, Texas
Recover iPad Files on Mac

Is there any chance I can recover these Notes?

I use a PC at home, but I've got a mac at work if that's what's ncessary to recover the documents.

"gulag", a little bit late reply but hope you can still hear. ^^

The fact is there might be another way to recover your lost iPad files via iTunes on your Mac machine. This Mac utility is able to extract & restore iTunes backup files for your lost iPad data. Not too many Mac users know that each time you sync data between your iDevice (iPhone, iPod, iPad) and iTunes, all previous records will be backed up by iTunes automatically and saved as (.sqlitedb) files. Hope this helps take your stress out. Best regards.

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
If you have it to "sync with your mail", every note that you put in there since you turned it on will get to the mail and saved. Something to enable for the future?

Melab

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
"gulag", a little bit late reply but hope you can still hear. ^^

The fact is there might be another way to recover your lost iPad files via iTunes on your Mac machine. This Mac utility is able to extract & restore iTunes backup files for your lost iPad data. Not too many Mac users know that each time you sync data between your iDevice (iPhone, iPod, iPad) and iTunes, all previous records will be backed up by iTunes automatically and saved as (.sqlitedb) files. Hope this helps take your stress out. Best regards.

Does this work with DELETED notes that were made AFTER the most recent sync?

Sandrelope

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
Note in iPad is missing!

I can't believe that the most important note I have is nowhere to be found. The title is there, but all the information is gone. I have not backed up to iTunes or synced my iPad since before I added this most important list of information into my iPad Notes App. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help.:confused::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.