PDA

View Full Version : Performance On 12" Powerbook With External Monitor

AQUADock
Sep 8, 2011, 08:58 AM
I want to connect my 12" Powerbook to a 1080p external monitor, will i notice any performance drop or extra heat? Or will it be able to handle it fine?

zen.state
Sep 8, 2011, 09:26 AM
Well the higher the resolution the more VRAM that gets gobbled up and the slower the system UI will seem. Going from 1024x768 to 1920x1080 you will certainly see slowdown but it won't be crippling.

Any extra heat generated will be so minimal it won't even be noticeable.

MAC MAN JW
Sep 8, 2011, 10:20 AM
I want to connect my 12" Powerbook to a 1080p external monitor, will i notice any performance drop or extra heat? Or will it be able to handle it fine?

I think the max res. on a external display is the same as the Powerbooks displey. only macbooks can have hi-res external displeys i think :)

zen.state
Sep 8, 2011, 10:25 AM
I think the max res. on a external display is the same as the Powerbooks displey. only macbooks can have hi-res external displeys i think :)

This is 100% wrong. The very first 12" PB G4 (the 867MHz) can do up to 1600x1200 and the later ones do up to 2048x1536.

MAC MAN JW
Sep 8, 2011, 10:34 AM
This is 100% wrong. The very first 12" PB G4 (the 867MHz) can do up to 1600x1200 and the later ones do up to 2048x1536.

Your right i am sorry :) i was thinking of the ibook g4 can go up to that and the powerbooks can not. :D it is the outher way around

maril1111
Sep 8, 2011, 10:34 AM

is the picture even sharp at 2048x1536, and what about the refresh rate? my current macbook pro has difficulties when gaming at 1920x1080...

sammich
Sep 8, 2011, 10:35 AM
Any extra heat generated will be so minimal it won't even be noticeable.

The idle power draw from a GPU is proportional to the number of pixels it's driving. I remember when I first got my external screen and used it with my MBP. I had the darndest time trying to figure out why my fans were going at 3-4k when I wasn't even doing anything.

Before (only the external 1080p screen)
http://cl.ly/1D2Z2T0D3w3f1E0e103r

2 minutes After (with the internal 1680*1050 MBP screen as well)
http://cl.ly/0F3c3C161D2k2V3x3H19

Compare the fan speeds and the GPU wattage (and temps too). That's after only 2 minutes. No, I didn't open an h264 movie in the background for it to decode with the GPU or anything like that.

zen.state
Sep 8, 2011, 10:41 AM
The idle power draw from a GPU is proportional to the number of pixels it's driving. I remember when I first got my external screen and used it with my MBP. I had the darndest time trying to figure out why my fans were going at 3-4k when I wasn't even doing anything.

Before (only the external 1080p screen)
http://cl.ly/1D2Z2T0D3w3f1E0e103r

2 minutes After (with the internal 1680*1050 MBP screen as well)
http://cl.ly/0F3c3C161D2k2V3x3H19

Compare the fan speeds and the GPU wattage (and temps too). That's after only 2 minutes. No, I didn't open an h264 movie in the background for it to decode with the GPU or anything like that.

PowerPC and Intel hardware deal with the GPU and moving data around in a much different way. It's a completely polar opposite architecture.

Sorry but your MBP results are virtually irrelevant to how a PB G4 performs.

sammich
Sep 8, 2011, 10:48 AM
Sure, I might not have any proof of how a PPC system would drive a display. I'd love you to show me your proof though.

I'm sure we all went backwards when we switched to Intel as well.

zen.state
Sep 8, 2011, 10:58 AM
is the picture even sharp at 2048x1536, and what about the refresh rate? my current macbook pro has difficulties when gaming at 1920x1080...

You need a much better GPU than anything you will find in 95% of laptops to game at 1080. That is your issue. 1280 or even 1600 will be much better for you.

----------

Sure, I might not have any proof of how a PPC system would drive a display. I'd love you to show me your proof though.

I'm sure we all went backwards when we switched to Intel as well.

I don't own a PB G4 or have any screen caps to prove anything but I do have 18 years of computer tech experience. Even my Intel MacBook doesn't heat up at all like yours and I run it closed and at 1920x1200 about 99% of the time on my 24" LCD.

sammich
Sep 8, 2011, 11:12 AM
I think you missed the point. The before photo is just the external 1080p screen. The after is once I take it out of clamshell, then it heats up.

PowerPC and Intel hardware deal with the GPU and moving data around in a much different way. It's a completely polar opposite architecture.

Sorry but your MBP results are virtually irrelevant to how a PB G4 performs.

So you have no experience or proof to show how Intel and PPC handle GPU instructions? Way to pull facts out of thin air. By my understanding, a GPU pushes pixels to a screen constantly. If it needs to push more pixels, it uses more power. Simple.

AQUADock
Sep 8, 2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks zen.state, also say if i played a game at 1024x768 in a window while the computers at 1080p will it be playable?

zen.state
Sep 8, 2011, 11:23 AM
I'm not pulling anything out of thin air at all. I am speaking from actual experience. Pardon me for not thinking to grab temp screen shots for some stubborn poster on MacRumors one day when I was working with these PowerBooks in the past.

I can however show you a screenshot of my Macbook running at 1920x1200 and the fans only at about 1800rpm. It seems to me like something is blocking your fan exhaust if it runs that hot with the fans that high.

----------

Thanks zen.state, also say if i played a game at 1024x768 in a window while the computers at 1080p will it be playable?

In that situation it would be better to run the game at full screen and at the same 1024 res.

sammich
Sep 8, 2011, 11:27 AM
I'll take stubborn. But I'm not fighting you here, all I want to know for my reference is why you think that Intel and PPC are 'polar opposites' when it comes to handling GPU instructions.

And again, I know my machine runs hotter than a hot plate when it's idle. But it heats up even more when both screen are running. That's all I'm saying. Besides you have to compare 1 screen/2 screens to see any difference.

zen.state
Sep 8, 2011, 11:42 AM
A GPU is a slave to the architecture it serves. PowerPC is a RISC architecture so it does things with less instructions and stages in the pipeline. It's pretty easy to understand that hardware that doesn't crunch as much won't heat up as much.

AQUADock
Sep 8, 2011, 11:47 AM
Why do almost all threads in the PPC forum have to turn into some sort of PPC vs Intel war or argument?

Nameci
Sep 8, 2011, 12:48 PM
Because of "my stick is longer than yours" thing.

Like "I have an Intel and Intel will be faster than PowerPC". We all know that argument.

You can see a lot of those on the Intel threads as well. For me here in PowerPC forums, at least I can tell that there are guys here that are willing to help and not brag about their stick longer than mine.

MacHamster68
Sep 8, 2011, 02:43 PM
Your right i am sorry :) i was thinking of the ibook g4 can go up to that and the powerbooks can not. :D it is the outher way around

partly wrong too iBooks with ATI GPU , so both G3 and G4 with a simple Open firmware hack screen spanning works (just install screenspanning doctor he does the hack )and so do higher resolutions on external displays too,
Apple like so often disabled features to make consumers buy the more expensive PowerBook .
My iBook could power easy 1600x1200 on external display , spanning of cause only , mirroring it only can 1024x768 same as internal , but thats fine , as connected to a bigger monitor you just have make the Monitor your main display and even clamshell mode works ,then like on the Powerbooks so you can close the lid connect wireless keyboard and mouse , then the Vram doesn't get divided

but back to topic PowerBook G4 ..i just take the 867mhz as you only mentioned 12" for example can power up to 1600x1200 externally, the later 1.5ghz can even power up to 2048x1536
so yes the PowerBooks can do 1080p on a external monitor...so can iBooks..in clamshell mode the full vram goes to the external display ,so no real performance loss

AdrianK
Sep 8, 2011, 03:47 PM
Why do almost all threads in the PPC forum have to turn into some sort of PPC vs Intel war or argument?
They don't. In this case it's just a comparison of the difference in heat production from GPUs on the different architectures. It isn't particularly relevant to the thread, but it's one hell of a long way from someone saying one architecture is better than another. :)

MacHamster68
Sep 8, 2011, 07:44 PM

the problem starts actually if people try to direct compare a MacBook Pro with a PowerBook G4 and come to the conclusion the Powerbook is slow and i come to the opposite conclusion the Powerbook G4 is quiet fast in comparison

the fastest PowerBook G4 has a G4 single core with 1.67 ghz , level 2 cache 512kb takes max 2 gb ram and has a GPU with 128mb
the MacBook Pro has i7 quad core with 2.66ghz ,has a level 3 cache of 4mb takes 8GB ram and has a GPU with 512mb

so to compare them directly you would need to disable 3 cores in the MacBook Pro und underclock the remaining core by 1 ghz , bring down the shared level3 cache to 512kb take away 6 gb ram and take away 384mb of the GPU and then i want to see the performance in comparison

but that would be really unfair as you would basically have a pentium 4 with 1.66ghz leftover and we all know from Steve Jobs the PPC processor with the same clock speed beats that pentium 4 then without any doubt :p

that was just for fun now and a bit sarcastic , so its not meant to start a war

but what i really dont understand is if someone is asking if a specific PPC Mac is any good and if it can somehow handle whatsoever and then people who eventually have even never used a PPC Mac or maybe had one 10 years ago the last time tell that person straight away its past its time ,to slow , cant handle this and that and its far better to get a intel Mac
without those G3 G4 G5 Mac's there would be no intel Mac's as Apple would be something we find as a side note in wikipedia as a manufacturer of computers pre 1997 ,as it was the iMac G3 and those other PPC Mac's that made Apple what it is now..ok ok Steve played a role too

Nameci
Sep 8, 2011, 11:23 PM
Well said. Nothing more to add.

zen.state
Sep 9, 2011, 09:53 AM

Because so many just don't get it. Their vision often doesn't go beyond the tip of their nose. We had a prime example of that here.

Thanks to sammich's ignorance this thread was overrun with his not getting it.