Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

effectivepull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Greetings,
I took some pictures last weekend and tried to get them imported to Aperture 3. Everything looked great as the images were being imported into Aperture. The usual dialogue box appeared at the end of the process asking me if I wanted to delete the images from card which I did as it appeared everything went well.

Well, something failed. There are no images from the card in Aperture and the folder I created on my Drobo where the master files were to be stored is empty.

I did not re-format the card in my camera. The finder does not show any images on the card.

I suspect that I can still recover the images but how? I have DiskWarrior from a previous disaster but not sure that will work for my current disaster.

How can I recover my images from the erased SD Card?

Thanks.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Are you positive the photos are not in A3? I would select the entire top level directories and arrange photos by date. They should be at the end. A3 has a lot of options when you import photos, and it is possible to be confused on where the photos are stored. If you find the photos, you can locate masters for those photos.

/Jim

effectivepull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Hi,

This might help....

http://www.bluem.net/en/mac/exif-untrasher/

Hope so!

Regards.

Z

I'll give this a go tonight if I can't locate the photos. Thanks so much for your help.

----------

Are you positive the photos are not in A3? I would select the entire top level directories and arrange photos by date. They should be at the end. A3 has a lot of options when you import photos, and it is possible to be confused on where the photos are stored. If you find the photos, you can locate masters for those photos.

/Jim

I'm ALMOST positive. I restarted A3, my computer and searched for the name of the project in A3 all to no avail. I arranged projects (haven't tried photos yet) and didn't see them. I'll have another look again tonight.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
effectivepull, just saying I feel your pain and hopefully A3 has them imported and for some reason you could not see them before, that is ideal situtation.

fwiw, I got burned once by importing photos, ejecting the SD card w/o deleting images , NOT doing a manual/forced timecapsule backup, re-format the SD card in-camera, and too hastily deleting images from the new project AND trash. Trying too hard to stay on top of downloading/processing many images.

Now, I turned OFF the option to delete images on the SD card upon eject via A3 (so it never asks), and only format the SD card in-camera after seeing them in A3 AND after manually running the timecapsule backup.
My lesson learned....

effectivepull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
I'd give PhotoRec a go as well.

PhotoRec is working like a charm. Thanks!
I tried bluem.net but realized it didn't support RAW files.

I've learned a lesson for sure. From now on, I'll drag files from the card to my Drobo, then import from that folder to A3, once everything is kosher, I'll delete/reformat the card in camera.

Disaster averted. Thank you all for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.