PDA

View Full Version : Toast 5.2 for real

Pepzhez
Oct 2, 2002, 04:09 PM
5.2 update is finally up at http://www.roxio.com

8thDegreeSavage
Oct 2, 2002, 09:10 PM
Dont work for me...crashes at startup.....5.1.4 is working fine though. Ill stick with it.

mac15
Oct 3, 2002, 12:53 AM
still don't work for me, crashes, I have no third party thing that could mess it up, 5.1.4 is fine with me

MacBandit
Oct 3, 2002, 01:46 AM
Crashes on start up. Thankfully it didn't replace the previous version.

eyelikeart
Oct 4, 2002, 08:22 AM
odd...mine didn't crash at startup...

although I haven't burned a disc with it....yet...

if it crashes there...I'll stick to 5.1...which was not replace... ;)

748s
Oct 4, 2002, 09:01 AM
5.1.4 would not work for me in x.2.1
5.2 works.
if it didn't work, did you follow the tips for working with toast updates?

8thDegreeSavage
Oct 4, 2002, 01:57 PM
Yeah i got it to work by delting the one .dat file in the contents of the Toast 5.2 app then i re entered my serial number and stuff..and now im working fine..

Pepzhez
Oct 4, 2002, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I had to do the same. To be safe, I deleted everything on the OS X partition that had to do with Toast before running the 5.2 update (I left a bare-bones 5.0 install on my very tiny OS 9.2 partiition). It looks like this is what you need to do in order to get Toast 5.2 to work correctly - or at all.

You'd think that Roxio would mention this (at the very least - seeing as they can't make their installer trouble-free), but no. I do like the Toast app OK but, damn, Roxio's support is just terrible. Figuring out trying trashing all preferences and .dat files are no big deal for us savy Macrumors-types, but I can imagine the frustration that is occurring as we speak, as the majority of Toast users are attempting to update and all they get are crashing and error messages - with zero help and assistance from Roxio.

Not a good way to run a company, but seeing that Toast really has no competition on the Mac platform, well, of course they get away with it. I always thought that a fully loaded CD/DVD burning suite would make a great iApp. And probably not too difficult for Apple to create, seeing as the basic components (Disc Burner, Disk Copy) are already present in OS X. Not that I expect to see this, but it would be a nice alternative to Toast.