Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

regan2

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
hyde park, ny
Just thought I'd give a heads-up that older configurations (Dual 1.8 and Dual 2.5) are on sale for $500 and $700 off respectively.

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
ATL
The Dual 2.0 is $600 off. Well worth the price, IMO.

I'm hoping there are some left in 2 weeks when i can afford it! :D

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
At the moment they have the dual 2.5 machine for $2299 :eek: That is one hell of a price! If only I had the cash flow...

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
cr2sh said:
Holy Jesus. That's an amazing price.

ya i thought so myself, i was waiting for that to happen. i went online to the apple store this morning at 8:20 and the store was down so i knew something was up and after my shower checked back went to the red ticket deals thingy and there she was. i then quickly made my order.

I checked back there later in the day and no more of those left. I feel lucky, I guess. The dual 2.0 was $1650 and very tempting but i had to make a quick decision and I just didnt think it was worth it. That way I got more money for my software & ram.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
benwa02 said:
ya i thought so myself, i was waiting for that to happen. i went online to the apple store this morning at 8:20 and the store was down so i knew something was up and after my shower checked back went to the red ticket deals thingy and there she was. i then quickly made my order.

I checked back there later in the day and no more of those left. I feel lucky, I guess. The dual 2.0 was $1650 and very tempting but i had to make a quick decision and I just didnt think it was worth it. That way I got more money for my software & ram.

Well. I don't agree on that issue.. I would have went for the 2.0, but that doesn't take away from your machine. Amazing, great find. Congrats on the deal.

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
cr2sh said:
Well. I don't agree on that issue.. I would have went for the 2.0, but that doesn't take away from your machine. Amazing, great find. Congrats on the deal.

Trust me I was very very tempted & I am still sort of thinking I should have done it, but too late now. I think I am having a little hard time getting over that.

Ya, I figured that this machine would still kick butt almost just as much as the 2.0 and I could def use the extra money for the RAM and software I will need to purchase asap<---(I guess I am trying to justify my decision here, haha) This machine should essentially last just as long as the 2.0.

I am just happy that the upgrades finally happened so I would purchase. I was waiting for this moment for quite some time.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
benwa02 said:
Trust me I was very very tempted & I am still sort of thinking I should have done it, but too late now. I think I am having a little hard time getting over that.

Ya, I figured that this machine would still kick butt almost just as much as the 2.0 and I could def use the extra money for the RAM and software I will need to purchase asap<---(I guess I am trying to justify my decision here, haha) This machine should essentially last just as long as the 2.0.

I am just happy that the upgrades finally happened so I would purchase. I was waiting for this moment for quite some time.

If someone told me "I'll give you a dual 1.8 for $1500" I wouldn't have asked many questions, I'd have jumped pretty damn fast. You're right, there's some extra money there and the performance difference isn't going to be that big... spend your money on a **** ton of ram and be done with it.

Again, awesome deal.

JasonL

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2004
Ware, MA
I saw those deals, too, on the applestore site Wednesday as the new PMs were announced. However, the deals mentioned were only in the 'sale' section when I logged into the site as an educational customer for some reason. Also, the dual 1.8 with the 600MHz FSB was $1499, IIRC the (older) dual 1.8 with the 900MHz FSB was somewhat more expensive ($1699 maybe?)

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
JasonL said:
I saw those deals, too, on the applestore site Wednesday as the new PMs were announced. However, the deals mentioned were only in the 'sale' section when I logged into the site as an educational customer for some reason. Also, the dual 1.8 with the 600MHz FSB was $1499, IIRC the (older) dual 1.8 with the 900MHz FSB was somewhat more expensive ($1699 maybe?)

Well the PM refurbs got a price drop and there were PM's in the sale section also. And you can get an edu discount in the sale section which brought the price of my new dual PM1.8 to the same price as a refurb'd dual PM1.8($1500) and now that made me eligible for the up-to-date tiger program.

Did they make a dual 1.8 with 600Mhz FSB? I thought that was the single 1.8, no?

sd_diver

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2003
New revB vs Refurb at Apple Store

For those unfamiliar with the online store, when you click the red tag you are at the refurb page. However, there are four buttons - Apple Certified, Sale, Promotions, and Offers. Pressing the Sale button gives you the new rev B machines. If you go thru a corparate or edu path, you get the same discount on the new rev B machines. I picked up the new rev B dual 2.0 gHz for $1747 (our 8% corporate discount off the $1899). They still seem to have the dual 1.8/2.0/2.5 in stock.

For me, it came down to $2299 for the 2.3 vs $1747 for the 2.0. DVD and disk size are somewhat irrelivent (sp?) I can easily buy a 400 gig sata drive and a new dvd writer for less that that. I'd have replaced the 9600 on the 2.3 just as quickly as the 5200 on the 2.0.

Now then, any recommendations as to what video card to get??? ;)

JasonL

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2004
Ware, MA
benwa02 said:
Well the PM refurbs got a price drop and there were PM's in the sale section also. And you can get an edu discount in the sale section which brought the price of my new dual PM1.8 to the same price as a refurb'd dual PM1.8($1500) and now that made me eligible for the up-to-date tiger program.

Did they make a dual 1.8 with 600Mhz FSB? I thought that was the single 1.8, no?

Hmm...I think you are right about the FSB thing. I went back and only see $1499 dual 1.8s. Maybe I was seeing things, or something has changed. :confused:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I have been thinking about a Refurb Rev. A iMac, but still have concerns about problems. Does a Refurb fix those problems. Otherwise I know that the Rev. B should be fantastic.

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
wdlove said:
I have been thinking about a Refurb Rev. A iMac, but still have concerns about problems. Does a Refurb fix those problems. Otherwise I know that the Rev. B should be fantastic.

I would def hold off until the Rev. B's come out because then you could either a) get a better machine or b) get a Rev. B on a real nice discount.

I chose to get the last rev for my PM and came away with a sweet deal.

They should be getting updates soon and then you would be able to make a good decision I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.