Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zawyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
Hi!

Just got my Apple TV and was about to run through the initial setup when it all of a sudden just died. Now the white LED light wont turn on,

Tried to unplug, wait 30 sec, plug back in.
Tried to connect it to a mini USB and open it in itunes, but it doesnt find the Apple TV.
Tried to connect it to a mini usb AND the power cord, but still nothing.
Tried holding down "down+menu" for 15 seconds, still nothing.

Any tips?

zawyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
Was told you could restore it if you connected it to itunes.

Well, problem #1: I live in Norway and got the Apple TV in the US. (They dont sell Apple TV in Norway).

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Hi!

Just got my Apple TV and was about to run through the initial setup when it all of a sudden just died. Now the white LED light wont turn on,

Tried to unplug, wait 30 sec, plug back in.
Tried to connect it to a mini USB and open it in itunes, but it doesnt find the Apple TV.
Tried to connect it to a mini usb AND the power cord, but still nothing.
Tried holding down "down+menu" for 15 seconds, still nothing.

Any tips?

That doesn't sound good. There is one more thing you can do to look for any sign of life. Connect it again to a Mac with the USB cable. Then launch System Profiler and click "USB" to see if the system sees any life on the USB bus. Here's what I see from mine:

Apple Mobile Device (Recovery Mode):
Product ID: 0x1281
Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)
Version: 0.00
Serial Number: CPID:8930 CPRV:20 CPFM:03 SCEP:01 BDID:10 ECID:000003E851122DF6 IBFL:01 SRNM:[C7RDXUZ2DDR5]
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Location ID: 0xfa200000 / 2
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.