PDA

View Full Version : Help please with Duplicate / Unlock nonsense

Azathoth
Sep 9, 2011, 03:55 AM
Bought new MBA13. Still have SL on my MBP15
OS X Lion is driving me crazy. More user prompts than Windows :-s

1. Open Mac Mail
2. Click on PDF attachment
3. Rotate attachment (because it was scanned in the horizontal direction)
4. Lion dialog "blah blah email attachment blah blah. Duplicate. Unlock. Cancel."
5. Lol wut?
6. Curse

I don't want some extra dialog box every time I open a PDF. I'm an engineer. I open hundereds of PDF schematics every day. And rotate them.
I've recompile Linux kernels, but the dialog box is not obvious (to me) as to what's going on - there is no way I'm upgrading my mother's Mac to Lion. She'll be scared to use the machine again.

I've turned off the Versioning in Time Machine, but it doesn't stop the stop dialog box *every time I do something with a PDF*. Can anyone help?

The Phazer
Sep 9, 2011, 08:50 AM
Unfortunately you're screwed.

The only good advice here would be to go back to Snow Leopard, which had a far more usable UI for this sort of thing. But because you've got a new Air, you can't even do that.

Apple's advice apparently would be "don't open lots of PDFs".

Only thing you can do is send feedback to Apple of exactly why this experience is so dreadful and pray they provide a proper setting to just turn versions off entirely and go back to the far superior SL paradigm if users want to.

Phazer

baryon
Sep 9, 2011, 10:12 AM
Use software that hasn't been updated yet with Versions, such as Adobe's PDF reader and stuff like that. Use Word instead of Pages, and you're sorted! Make sure you don't update them when they do gain support for this horribly stupid "feature" though. Or let's hope they'll let us disable it.

Azathoth
Sep 9, 2011, 11:40 AM
Use software that hasn't been updated yet with Versions, such as Adobe's PDF reader and stuff like that. Use Word instead of Pages, and you're sorted! Make sure you don't update them when they do gain support for this horribly stupid "feature" though. Or let's hope they'll let us disable it.

But that was the nice thing about the Mac - Preview was great for viewing PDFs and rotating schematics.

But now I found out that Preview also overwrites(!) schematics that I rotate on our server (and beachballs writing the large PDFs back over my VPN link).
The potential for uber-mess-ups is huge! In-frigging-credible.

Taking the colour out of Finder, excruciatingly slow transitions for the new Spaces (or whatever they call it), Wifi problems, ok, but this is just %$"# insane.

And no way to go back to SL on a new MBA.

Mal
Sep 9, 2011, 02:16 PM
I believe this will deal with the issue:

If you uncheck that box, you'll never see that message again.

jW

blackburn
Sep 9, 2011, 02:20 PM
But that was the nice thing about the Mac - Preview was great for viewing PDFs and rotating schematics.

But now I found out that Preview also overwrites(!) schematics that I rotate on our server (and beachballs writing the large PDFs back over my VPN link).
The potential for uber-mess-ups is huge! In-frigging-credible.

Taking the colour out of Finder, excruciatingly slow transitions for the new Spaces (or whatever they call it), Wifi problems, ok, but this is just %$"# insane.

And no way to go back to SL on a new MBA.

Same here, many times I without knowing messed up pdfs in dropbox shared folders. And If you lock the pdfs you can't rotate them.

Azathoth
Sep 9, 2011, 02:47 PM
I believe this will deal with the issue:

If you uncheck that box, you'll never see that message again.

jW

I dont see the image, but the settings in Time Machine don't change the auto-save behaviour - which is the other big issue...

Mal
Sep 9, 2011, 04:22 PM
Not sure why you can't see the image, it's an attachment here on the forums, not hosted elsewhere. Anyways, I know it doesn't change the autosave behavior, but you were getting annoyed at the dialog boxes in your original post. I was merely telling you how to stop those. It does exactly what it was recommend for.

jW

Azathoth
Sep 10, 2011, 05:16 AM
Not sure why you can't see the image, it's an attachment here on the forums, not hosted elsewhere. Anyways, I know it doesn't change the autosave behavior, but you were getting annoyed at the dialog boxes in your original post. I was merely telling you how to stop those. It does exactly what it was recommend for.

jW

Hei, i see the image now.

Unfortunately with Mac Mail and opening a PDF attachment in Preview I get the dialog box whatever the checkmark in Time Machine is (completely fresh OS X Lion installation).

"If you want to make changes to this document, click Unlock. To keep the file unchanged and work with a copy, click Duplicate."

Interestingly if I click Cancel and do the action twice then even though the file is locked it allows me to change things and doesn't save it. To bad it triples the workflow.

It's basically a huge productivity impediment (extra clicking and dialog boxes - just like good ol' Windows XP!)

tkermit
Sep 10, 2011, 06:13 AM
People seem to be missing the fact that Lion displays no more dialog boxes than Snow Leopard did, usually even fewer. Snow Leopard will display its dialog when you attempt to close a document with unsaved changes. Lion will display a dialog whenever you attempt to make changes in a (locked) document. Instead of clicking "Don't save" you now have to click "Duplicate".

SL:
http://f.cl.ly/items/1O3y1T07301z1L3t3h3H/snow.jpg

Lion:
http://f.cl.ly/items/0X1p2f3m3q042S0l2w0V/xlion.jpg

EDIT: I just realized that I'm partly wrong, since Lion will of course also bring up Snow Leopard's dialog when you later close your duplicate...:o