PDA

View Full Version : Lowe's to Deploy 42,000 iPhone 4 Devices to Stores

MacRumors
Sep 9, 2011, 10:34 AM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/09/lowes-to-deploy-42000-iphone-4-devices-to-stores/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/data-500x339.jpg

(http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/data.jpeg)
Bloomberg reports (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-08/lowe-s-upgrades-website-to-spur-sales-at-iphone-equipped-stores.html) that home improvement store chain Lowe's is deploying 42,000 iPhone 4 devices to its workers next month.Next month, Lowe's will introduce its MyLowes online tool that customers will be able to use to store owner's manuals, warranties and paint formulas, Chief Information Officer Mike Brown said in an interview. The Mooresville, North Carolina- based company is arming workers with 42,000 iPhone 4s to answer shoppers' questions and ring up purchases.The move is an attempt to better compete with rival Home Depot, which introduced a similar program last year with Motorola handhelds.

Each store will be receiving 25 devices that "will be enabled for mobile calling, e-mailing and text-messaging as well as processing credit and debit card purchases".

Article Link: Lowe's to Deploy 42,000 iPhone 4 Devices to Stores (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/09/lowes-to-deploy-42000-iphone-4-devices-to-stores/)

Shrink
Sep 9, 2011, 10:42 AM
Amazing!

42,000 x $? = a good day's sales.

In the larger picture a drop in the bucket - but Apple keeps doing it over and over.

Pretty impressive.:)

talmy
Sep 9, 2011, 10:50 AM
Seems to me Lowe's could have saved much money by using iPod Touches and having Wifi in their stores. They might have Wifi already. Doesn't seem like they need a phone for this.

j-traxx
Sep 9, 2011, 11:05 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Huge big box store. Where is the lumber manager brad? Find my manager. Bam. Gps. iPhone over iPad.

ericinboston
Sep 9, 2011, 11:11 AM
Seems to me Lowe's could have saved much money by using iPod Touches and having Wifi in their stores. They might have Wifi already. Doesn't seem like they need a phone for this.

Unless Apple gave them some kind of deal to boost their iPhone 4 sales figures...not that they necessarily need a boost, but 42k orders is a nice order and gets Apple that much closer to being #1 in the Smartphone market. Apple doesn't need to be #1 in the MP3 Player market...have been for a long time.

The Touches run at about $229 and $299...iPhone 4's could have been matched in price (or come very close) to make it more attractive.

So who's the carrier? ATT?

joelobrien
Sep 9, 2011, 11:15 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I am a Lowes employee. We started using the iPhones in our store (1522) last week. They are using the phones because they plan to replace our landlines with them. The store does run the phones off of wifi. If a unit is taken from the store, it fails to operate except for the gps locating services. So far they have made things much easier in the store. It doesn't carry all the operations of an LRT scangun but does seem to facilitate things by giving us the ability to scan stock and see general information.

MacDuff2000
Sep 9, 2011, 11:19 AM
Maybe wait a month for the iPhone 5?

apparatchik
Sep 9, 2011, 11:27 AM

TheRealTVGuy
Sep 9, 2011, 11:27 AM
Maybe wait a month for the iPhone 5?

In a matter of speaking, yes! Even if Apple drops the price of the iPhone 4 when the next one arrives (hopefully soon!) they will undoubtedly see a drop in demand. So how do you move 40,000 units of last year's product? Sell it Lowe's of course.

Now, Apple is a master at supply/demand/etc. and this deal has probably been in the works for a while, but its still a good use of a previous generation product.

Caliber26
Sep 9, 2011, 11:30 AM

Thank you!! I was just thinking, what a creepy-looking guy they chose for this picture. He looks so excited, doesn't he?

Consultant
Sep 9, 2011, 12:40 PM
Update: oops looks like it's answered above.

Yeah, that would have saved money. Interesting that they didn't do iPod touch with the case that provides credit card etc functions.

frunkis54
Sep 9, 2011, 12:45 PM
now one of the reasons you won't get any help at lowe's they will be talking on the iphone 4 instead of helping customers.

HiRez
Sep 9, 2011, 03:31 PM
But I don't understand how Lowe's can write custom software for it if it's not "open". How can it possibly work! I'm sure businesses will be ordering up Android phones and tablets by the tens of thousands once they catch on.

talmy
Sep 9, 2011, 03:44 PM
But I don't understand how Lowe's can write custom software for it if it's not "open". How can it possibly work! I'm sure businesses will be ordering up Android phones and tablets by the tens of thousands once they catch on.

Are you joking?

http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/enterprise/

kasei
Sep 9, 2011, 03:45 PM

I wonder which MDM will Lowes use to manage that many phones?

Cheerwino
Sep 9, 2011, 06:14 PM
I can see how this could be very successful. Those stores are huge, so being able to contact other employees and managers to ask questions instead of hoofing it all over the store would be helpful and should speed up shopping. Would also be nice to be able to make purchases on the spot with an associate for items like appliances, paint, locks, lumber and plants.

If you've worked in corporate, you know the cost to implement this kind of initiative in time, training and such far exceeds the actual cost of the devices. As a Lowes shareholder, I'm glad to see them pursuing this strategy. :cool:

DeathChill
Sep 9, 2011, 06:31 PM
Are you joking?

http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/enterprise/

He's being sarcastic.

rdlink
Sep 9, 2011, 10:46 PM
I can see how this could be very successful. Those stores are huge, so being able to contact other employees and managers to ask questions instead of hoofing it all over the store would be helpful and should speed up shopping. Would also be nice to be able to make purchases on the spot with an associate for items like appliances, paint, locks, lumber and plants.

If you've worked in corporate, you know the cost to implement this kind of initiative in time, training and such far exceeds the actual cost of the devices. As a Lowes shareholder, I'm glad to see them pursuing this strategy. :cool:

I agree. I also see where IOS5 and iMessage would be very helpful in communicating with fellow employees via free texting.

SteveSparks
Sep 10, 2011, 07:41 AM

I best for the cost of bulk data, its cheaper to use a vpn cellular solution than equip all the stores with wifi equipment and have to maintain the setup. If I were ATT I'd put a cell tower on top of every store.

toddybody
Sep 10, 2011, 11:29 AM
I worked for Lowes 3 years in college. Trust me, these phones wont last long (Forklift racing is a b*$ch).

QuarterSwede
Sep 10, 2011, 11:35 AM
I best for the cost of bulk data, its cheaper to use a vpn cellular solution than equip all the stores with wifi equipment and have to maintain the setup. If I were ATT I'd put a cell tower on top of every store.
All the stores already have wifi. How do you think their old scanners communicated?

DESNOS
Sep 10, 2011, 01:51 PM

If the electricity is out, then so is WiFi. Employees could still stay in touch via 3G if they have to. Plus, WiFi does have a much more limited range than 3G does.

Trauma1
Sep 10, 2011, 08:01 PM

Huge big box store. Where is the lumber manager brad? Find my manager. Bam. Gps. iPhone over iPad.

Are you implying that iPad doesn't have GPS? Because 3G iPads do...

Cinch
Sep 11, 2011, 10:08 PM
I think this cheapens the iPhone brand. I hope Apple did not give Lowe's any discount.

Think about it. If you love your iPhone and believe it is a distinguish personal device that sets you apart from those Android phones, why would you want to see a chain hardware store use it as a commodity work tool?

I for one don't think this is a good idea.:mad:

Let Samsung, Motorola etc. play the cheap plastic phone produce in masse game. If Apple play the volume game, then they are surely to loose against the Asian plastic makers. Why would you want to race to the bottom with the Asian clone makers?

rdowns
Sep 12, 2011, 06:48 AM
I think this cheapens the iPhone brand. I hope Apple did not give Lowe's any discount.

Think about it. If you love your iPhone and believe it is a distinguish personal device that sets you apart from those Android phones, why would you want to see a chain hardware store use it as a commodity work tool?

I for one don't think this is a good idea.:mad:

Let Samsung, Motorola etc. play the cheap plastic phone produce in masse game. If Apple play the volume game, then they are surely to loose against the Asian plastic makers. Why would you want to race to the bottom with the Asian clone makers?

Where do people get this stuff? It's a freaking phone, a tool to get things done. Distinguished personal device. :rolleyes:

Cinch
Sep 12, 2011, 03:50 PM
Where do people get this stuff? It's a freaking phone, a tool to get things done. Distinguished personal device. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but you are wrong. Not to sound corny or trite, but a smartphone is much more than just a phone. To many people it is an expression of their personal taste, aesthetics and how they want the world to view them, much like fashion.

It is not about getting the iPhone to as many hands as possible. In fact from an investor point of view, retaining the aura of exclusivity and high-end value are paramount. Of course, high-end and exclusivity have to be back by quality. I'm going to pull out the same trite argument i.e. the BMW factor, and I'm going to add on a few more business model analogies: consider, Estee Lauder versus Revlon, Tiffany & Co. versus Kay Jeweler, BMW versus Government Motors (oops, General Motors), and Miele versus Black & Decker.

It is about owning a well and carefully designed device that is worthy of our affection. It is okay to appreciate well design device or tool. It is the unimaginative preachy souls out there who thinks just about everything made today are cater to mindless consumerism.

Where do you get off on?

BTW, your avatar is bit creepy in a perverted sense.

HuggyLowDown
Sep 12, 2011, 09:16 PM
Hahaha 'Mike' doesn't look too happy in the photo. :p

accessoriesguy
Sep 13, 2011, 05:38 PM
The stores of the future are coming! remember that European super market with iPads embedded into the shopping carts!