PDA

View Full Version : Feeler: 17" Widescreen LCD (Samsung)

matticus008
Apr 27, 2005, 03:36 PM
I'm considering parting with my Samsung SyncMaster 172W. I love the monitor and use it almost every day, but I'll be moving in a few months and hopefully will be getting a 23 or 24" LCD as a housewarming gift to myself. I could just keep it, but I know how many people are dying for Apple to put out a wide-aspect 17" for their mini/PowerBook. It has a great silver and black finish (the back of the monitor and bottom of the very sturdy base are black, the top of the base and monitor bezel is silver. It has built-in speakers on the base that match the design of the Powerbook grilles nicely. I'll post pictures if there's any interest.

It has a resolution of 1280x768 (similar to the 15" PowerBook, for those with a 12" wishing for more space, and identical in width to most 19" standard-aspect LCDs at 1280x1024) and good viewing angles (the vertical viewing angle could stand to be improved, I'll admit). The enclosure and display are flawless (no dead pixels), but in the interest of full disclosure, there is a 1/3" inch scratch on the back of the base from a falling paperweight. DVI and VGA inputs. Samsung MagicBrite technology (a dynamic set of presets for different viewing conditions that increases brightness and contrast). It has an extremely high contrast ration in comparison to its competitors (500:1 I believe) and a relatively low response time (23ms). It comes with a VESA plate for wall- or arm-mounting along with the original box, manual, and color profile CD. I've lost the VGA cable, so it will come just with DVI, but I might be able to find the VGA if it's important.

I paid $600+ when this was brand new less than 2 years ago, and going by the current price of Samsung 17" standard LCDs, I'll be looking for about $400 (mine's gently used, but the wide-aspect 17" is hard to find, so that's my logic). It matches the PowerBook/Mac better than almost any non-Apple display, and the silver finish should be good with a Mac mini, too.

Is there any interest in this?

EDIT: Link to review with images: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1358&page=1

matticus008
Apr 30, 2005, 04:51 PM
UPDATE:

Sale pending.

Thanks for the PMs!