PDA

View Full Version : Urgent: Files missing after Disk Repair

LastLine
Sep 9, 2011, 06:37 PM
Hi all,

Just did a verify and repair on my external hard drive - after which I can't see any of the files. When I re-repair I get this

vVerifying volume “Expansion Drive”
Checking file systemChecking Volume /dev/disk1s1...
Verifying 37888 records ...
File ".DS_Store" does not contain data attribute
File "._.DS_Store" does not contain data attribute
Deleting orphan record 0x139c.
855.63 Gb in 16854 files
0 Kb in 0 directories
0 Kb in bad blocks in 0 fragments
155276 Kb in use by the system
0 Kb occupied by the log file
4096 bytes in each allocation unit
366284008 total allocation units on volume
0 allocation units available on volume
Errors were found but not fixed 'cause read-only.

Anyone know what I can do? the external is NTFS formatted, but I have software installed to read NTFS formatted drives. Plugging the disk into windows is equally fruitless. Obviously something's still there as 855gb is being read in 16854 files (this is about right for the disk pre-disaster)

Help!

UltraNEO*
Sep 9, 2011, 06:45 PM
Have you tried using undelete applications to recover your data? Considering it's already gone, I don't think there's any harm in trying to undelete stuff.

BTW... What did you used to repair/verify your drive?

Quad5Ny
Sep 9, 2011, 10:29 PM
Why would you try to repair a NTFS drive in OS X? That's just asking for trouble (especially if you have a extension installed to give write access).

What happens when you plug the drive into a Windows machine or boot camp partition?

LastLine
Sep 10, 2011, 01:49 AM
Why would you try to repair a NTFS drive in OS X? That's just asking for trouble (especially if you have a extension installed to give write access).

What happens when you plug the drive into a Windows machine or boot camp partition?
Because I didn't know any better...nowhere is it made 'obvious' that such a thing could cause trouble. Windows refuses to see the files too (though again reports disk space in use).

Have you tried using undelete applications to recover your data? Considering it's already gone, I don't think there's any harm in trying to undelete stuff.

BTW... What did you used to repair/verify your drive?
Yeah, running Data Recovery 3 now - only another 24 hours left lol. No idea where I'll put the stuff if I find it :-/ Ran through Disk Utility.

SeniorX
Oct 25, 2012, 12:59 AM
I have the same situation. I made a disk repair on mac for my portable hdd, and after that i have like 4 important folders missing. After that cant fiind them neither on win7 or lion...
I made chkds, scaninng recovery delete... etc

Any help... PLS!