Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caleuche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
I just installed Debian Squeeze PPC on a blue and white G3 (revision 2), set up as a dual boot with OS 9. What I've seen from the command line seems encouraging; it looks like all the hardware is supported.

However, I forgot to select the Linux drive as the boot device before installing. Now the G3 just boots OS 9, and the Startup Disk program does not even see the Linux drive... So I have a working Linux install that can only be booted into via a rescue CD.

The drive setup looks like this:

Code:
IDE 0 master: CD-ROM drive
IDE 0 slave: 20 GB HD (taking up the slot formerly reserved for the Zip drive)

IDE 1 master: 30 GB HD (currently the boot drive)
IDE 1 slave: 20 GB HD

So far I've tried:
- Holding down the Option key on boot (doesn't do anything)
- Holding down the z key (figured it might work due to the use of the Zip drive's IDE slot, but it doesn't)
- Holding down Command-Option-Shift-Delete to bypass the boot drive (doesn't work, just skips right to the CD-ROM drive)

How can I get this machine to boot from the Linux drive? Assuming there's no simple way to do it, how would I select the drive through the OpenFirmware prompt?

Caleuche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
Not even if you mess around with OpenFirmware? Darn. This is going to be difficult then.

Thanks though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.