PDA

View Full Version : Anoying feature in Lion

portreathbeach
Sep 10, 2011, 06:18 AM
When I use an application 'Text Edit' for example, the next time I open the app, the previous windows I had open in that app appear, instead of a black Text Edit document.

In order to apps as I used too, I have to 'save' and the 'close' the current window I'm working in and the 'quit' the app. Now when I open the ap next time, it is as I would expect, a blank document.

This new feature of Lion happens on most apps, is there a way to disable it?

Hansr
Sep 10, 2011, 06:45 AM
http://www.macdaddynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Screen-Shot-2011-07-27-at-12.39.55-PM.png

portreathbeach
Sep 10, 2011, 07:12 AM

Another annoying thing I have found is sometimes there isn't a 'Save as' option, you have to select 'Duplicate' and then 'Save'! Why have they done this?

Morod
Sep 10, 2011, 11:59 AM
"It's not a feature, it's a bug".

Oh, wait....
:p

Ropie
Sep 10, 2011, 12:26 PM
Another annoying thing I have found is sometimes there isn't a 'Save as' option, you have to select 'Duplicate' and then 'Save'! Why have they done this?

Save As is being phased out as far as Apple can manage it. It's all for the benefit of people who don't open many files and who don't care about where their files are kept nor how many iterations are saved and in what state, much like iPhoto, as long as it's somewhere. It's supposed to be a revolutionary new way of handling files but all it did was make me paranoid about drive space and losing things.

UltraNEO*
Sep 10, 2011, 03:26 PM
Save As is being phased out as far as Apple can manage it. It's all for the benefit of people who don't open many files and who don't care about where their files are kept nor how many iterations are saved and in what state, much like iPhoto, as long as it's somewhere. It's supposed to be a revolutionary new way of handling files but all it did was make me paranoid about drive space and losing things.

For every GUI modification Apple has made with Lion, there should of been an option undo/revert panel for those of us who prefer the old way of doing things... Like why fix it if it's not broken?

WSR
Sep 10, 2011, 04:49 PM
For every GUI modification Apple has made with Lion, there should of been an option undo/revert panel for those of us who prefer the old way of doing things... Like why fix it if it's not broken?

Absolutely TRUE.

Ruahrc
Sep 10, 2011, 07:19 PM
Like why fix it if it's not broken?

Because that's the Apple mantra- "it's my way or the highway". They think they know better than you how you prefer to handle your files/computer interface.

waynep
Sep 10, 2011, 10:19 PM
I kind of like it but I did have to change my ways a little. I just make sure I close my files before quitting an app. I do have a PDF that I am currently referencing a lot. It's nice to have it re-open every time I start the Preview app.