Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Hey guys,

Wasn't sure where to post this but here it goes.

I love the total war games. My old PC had a 1gb ATI graphics card and ran RTW like a dream on full settings.

I have since sold that for a Macbook Air (i5) because of work, portability etc. but have been missing my RTW. I also just saw that Shogun 2 is out.

My question is: if I run windows through Bootcamp/Parallels or use Crossover,
WHICH Total War games can I actually run on my MBA with reasonable settings. I'm not expecting highest settings but something that'll be smooth without taking away too much from the visuals of the game.

Thanks

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Hey guys,

Wasn't sure where to post this but here it goes.

I love the total war games. My old PC had a 1gb ATI graphics card and ran RTW like a dream on full settings.

I have since sold that for a Macbook Air (i5) because of work, portability etc. but have been missing my RTW. I also just saw that Shogun 2 is out.

My question is: if I run windows through Bootcamp/Parallels or use Crossover,
WHICH Total War games can I actually run on my MBA with reasonable settings. I'm not expecting highest settings but something that'll be smooth without taking away too much from the visuals of the game.

Thanks

Couldn't tell you how or which ones will run, but please for the sake of humanity don't try and run it through Parallels/VMWare/Virtualbox lol. Just bootcamp for sure.

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Oh ok I didn't realize there was that big of a difference. I'll give bootcamp a look. I haven't gotten either yet so it's still up in the air which I choose.

Any particular reason why bootcamp over the others?

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Oh ok I didn't realize there was that big of a difference. I'll give bootcamp a look. I haven't gotten either yet so it's still up in the air which I choose.

Any particular reason why bootcamp over the others?

Bootcamp is just an application that allows you to install Windows natively, so you can boot directly into it like a normal PC. Parallels/VMWare/Virtualbox are virtual machine applications that run Windows on top of OSX, where both operating systems are sharing resources (e.i. RAM, CPU, GPU) and is much worse at handling intense applications then running them on a natively running operating system.

Mpalmieri1203

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
I don't see these games running well on a MBA. Heck, they are poorly optimized for windows in general.

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
I don't see these games running well on a MBA. Heck, they are poorly optimized for windows in general.

The MacBook Air may be small but due to its screen resolution it can run even FPS shooters like Call of Duty Black Ops on Low - Medium Settings. Total War games should run fine, its only really when you start getting into big FPS shooters that you have problems. Unless there is some really really really poor coding in this game it will run fine on your MacBook Air.

qwerf123

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
UK
I've got it installed on my MBA I think it works pretty well and I am using the Mac App Store Version.
I would just recommend you getting it from there as if it doesn't work as you expect you can get a refund from their support.

In my opinion, I think the visuals are smooth and better than I expected on the MBA

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Thanks qwerf. I installed it an it runs very well; I didn't change any of the settings, whatever it has set out of the install is what I'm using.

One thing I did notice though, the fans are almost maxed out and this system heats up a fair bit while I'm playing. I had my headphones on before so never noticed...I took them off to go get some water and holy crap it was loud. Seems like I'm almost maxing the thing out by running the game, although I haven't tried to have any other apps open, I usually close everything before I open the game.

You experienced that? I know you have the i7 (I only have the i5) but I'm wondering if that makes a difference.

iStat pro basically showed my fan around 6900rpm and my unit CPU temperature at 90+. It was really warm to the touch where the power cable and fans are located (could also be because I had it plugged in and it was actively charging the unit as well at the time of playing).

qwerf123

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
UK
Presume your using the Mac version then and not the Windows one.

Yeah, I do have the same problem as you but it doesn't worry me as it does it with all my games, whether I play them on Mac or through Windows (via bootcamp).
I find it also did this with another Sandy Bridge Windows PC I own. Think its normal with the latest and more powerful processors as they produce more heat than the older generation processors.

Remember you have a Apple warranty so if it screws the MBA up, just get it repaired :)

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
Here is a video of Napoleon Total War on MBA 2011. Medieval II TW and Empire TW might run with low settings too. I think Rome TW will run much better then, it's older than the others and Feral Interactive ported it to Mac OS X.

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
thanks Northwestern, cool vid. Do you think it's running smoothly because of the i7 in there also? Mine is i5 so I wonder if it would be as smooth on medium setting or if I'd have to go to low.

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
I would try the demo, if I were you. I am getting my MBA this week. So I can't test it, but I think i5 or i7 is not a big difference.

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
I have a 13" MBP 2011, stock $1200 model.

I pretty much only play TW games anymore. But I bootcamp to do it. Windows 7 32-bit.

Currently I'm involved in a hotseat game with a few friends running RTW with the RTR mod. I can run everything at high and it's smooth. Temp gets up around 90c, per HWMonitor. I also play M2TW on the side, but currently only for single player mode. I have a mix of medium and high settings. Temp gets around 90-95c.

I bought S2TW this past Friday to give it a go on the Intel GPU. Surprisingly it runs decent enough on mostly low settings. But playing a historical battle the temp climbed up around 100-101c. Even just toying with the SP campaign got the temps up that high. I don't know, I'm thinking that might be just a little high...

I'll probably wait until Ivy Bridge to play Shogun. That's okay, I have years worth of content with Rome and Medieval II anyway. RTR VII just came out. Europa Barbarorum II will be out soon enough for M2. I was just hoping to get my ninja fix too. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.