PDA

View Full Version : Lion Mail: Preventing Auto-Add of Account when logging in at me.com

mark5678
Sep 10, 2011, 01:13 PM
Hi,

Because I travel in sensitive parts of the world, I do not want my emails sitting on my computer but just want to access them online when abroad. I purchased a Macbook Air for travel, and I have not added any of the mail accounts.

HOWEVER, when I log into my MobileMe account, it automatically populates my mail application and starts downloading all my past emails onto my computer. This is very annoying and could actually get me into serious trouble or even place me or others in physical danger.

I suppose I can go and re-delete this account after the fact, but don't want to be using precious time in an internet cafe with a slow connection tying up my computer from other more important functions while it downloads thousands of old emails every single time I log in.

I've been to the Apple store and they say that Lion does not allow you to disable this auto function. They say it is a feature to just make it easy for most users. Anyone know a way around it?

Ruahrc
Sep 10, 2011, 04:23 PM
I think you can solve this by going to the "Mail, Contacts & calendars" pane of SysPrefs. Then select your MM account, and uncheck "Mail & notes".

I too use mobileme email exclusively through the webapp, so after I initially signed in to MM on my mac, I disabled this, and it seems logging out and loggin in via the Mobilbme prefpane doesn't automatically start downloading my MM email

Ruahrc