PDA

View Full Version : Alfred

tahoeroscoe
Sep 10, 2011, 03:33 PM
So i just downloaded alfred (http://alfredapp.com) (free version from mac app store) and so far so good, i'm still getting used to it but it's great as an app launcher and file locator.

Who else is using it and what's your favorite feature/thing you do with it?

Is the powerpack worth it?

Weaselboy
Sep 10, 2011, 04:07 PM
I use it like it very much. The Powerpack is totally worth it and allows you to run scripts from within Alfred. I would pay for that feature alone.

Also the dev. offers good support and is regularly updating and adding new features.

You might get more response to this in the Applications forum.

tahoeroscoe
Sep 10, 2011, 05:07 PM
I use it like it very much. The Powerpack is totally worth it and allows you to run scripts from within Alfred. I would pay for that feature alone.

Also the dev. offers good support and is regularly updating and adding new features.

You might get more response to this in the Applications forum.

Good call, didn't even see that sub forum until now. Maybe a mod can move it.

Glad you like it! What kind of scripts do you use the most? Like what kind of functions do they do

So far my favorite thing is being able to launch a Google search in chrome right from Alfred and emptying the trash.

To empty trash: #space, em, enter. Trash emptied! takes less than a second. Might sound lame but its really nice.

miknos
Sep 10, 2011, 05:21 PM
For some reason Spotlight became less responsive (maybe it's FileVault2). I tried Alfred and I love it.

What I like about the powerpack is to see contacts (from address book) without having to open the address book app.
Adding extensions are nice. I use Wolfram Alpha and a backup workflow I made. I chose to copy certain files (bookmarks, iTunes Library, etc) to Dropbox folder. When I want to back it up, I just type Backup Workflow and that's it.

Weaselboy
Sep 11, 2011, 08:57 AM
Glad you like it! What kind of scripts do you use the most? Like what kind of functions do they do

https://img.skitch.com/20110911-8ddhg8j9hqmcx5kjaniwiupwkn.jpg

Here is a list of Applescripts I have added to Alfred.

I also use Alfred's built in system commands quite a bit, like the empty trash command you mentioned.