PDA

View Full Version : new imac, upgrade to lion or?

malias4
Sep 10, 2011, 04:30 PM
Hi there ,
im getting my 21.5 imac base model on thursday and i think it will be with leopard pre installed.

Since its my very first mac and im totaly new to mac os wat should i do?

Upgrade straight away to lion or wait a week or two so i start getting use to mac and also mac os and then upgrade..

What you think? I ve never used a mac beffore :eek::D

echo.park
Sep 10, 2011, 04:46 PM
Hi there ,
im getting my 21.5 imac base model on thursday and i think it will be with leopard pre installed.

Since its my very first mac and im totaly new to mac os wat should i do?

Upgrade straight away to lion or wait a week or two so i start getting use to mac and also mac os and then upgrade..

What you think? I ve never used a mac beffore :eek::D

Update right away. So you will learn all the Lion-features right along. Like fullscreen, all the gestures, mission control and so on.

malias4
Sep 10, 2011, 05:00 PM
Hi thanks for your reply, but then how i do it if i hav no clue anyway?
Open mac set my accounts and straught go to αpp store buy lion and install it?
Isnt it better to 'delete' totaly leopard and then instal lion? Bs like this it slike i put it on top of leopard..
Or thats not possible in mac os?

Maybe stupid questions eh? :confused:

echo.park
Sep 10, 2011, 05:05 PM
If your Mac is 'new' and never been used before do this:

1. set your accounts
2. update Snow Leopard via software update, so you get all the fixes and stuff
3. go to the app store and download Lion, install it
4. after installing, start using your Mac by installing all the software you need

Done. :D

Edit: What you get in the App Store is an so called 'update' to upgrade Snow Leopard to Lion. There are ways to install a 'full' version of Lion on a USB stick, but in your case I see no reason to do so. Just follow the steps I posted.

malias4
Sep 10, 2011, 05:13 PM
Yes its new in the box , not opened yet..

my neighbour won it on the lottery so i ll buy it from him !

I saw the sticker with the serial number on the box so i know is made on 27th week and thats 3rd of jully so for sure snow leopard ;)

Ok i ll do what u said, thank you :rolleyes:
There s no way to buy the lion software on cd?
I can only download it from app store?

AdrianK
Sep 10, 2011, 05:19 PM
There s no way to buy the lion software on cd?
I can only download it from app store?

Nope, you can buy it on a USB stick (more expensive than from App Store) or get it from the App Store.

A clean install is probably best, if you want you can look up instructions to burn your own DVD from the Mac App Store download.

malias4
Sep 10, 2011, 05:30 PM
The thing isthat im totaly new on mac os , if it would be windows i d format n then burn iso on a cd and instal but now i dont know if i can do alk this :) i know google n youtube can help me a lot !!
The lion version thats out now is it bugy or works ok?

echo.park
Sep 11, 2011, 03:36 AM
The thing isthat im totaly new on mac os , if it would be windows i d format n then burn iso on a cd and instal but now i dont know if i can do alk this :) i know google n youtube can help me a lot !!
The lion version thats out now is it bugy or works ok?

Lion is great. A few little bugs though.