PDA

View Full Version : Best After Market RAM

TofSanity
Sep 10, 2011, 05:15 PM
Looking to upgrade my iMac 2.93GHz i7 mid 2010. I currently have the original 4GB installed. I am planning to keep that installed, for the moment, and add another 8GB. I have always just stayed with the RAM installed on previous desktops. Knowing that the Apple RAM is something like $400 what's the best after market RAM to purchase? also, should i just purchase 16GB of RAM and remove the original 8GB. i am planning on buying another iMac in the next month or so and would like to use that RAM as additional for the new iMac. Note to self...check that original RAM will work with new iMac. Thanks T

obsidian1200
Sep 10, 2011, 06:10 PM
"Best" is subjective around here. There's a lot of RAM that will work.

Brands that users have had good luck with are Crucial, OWC, Corsair, Kingston, and a few have mentioned GSkill. For your iMac, you'll want to make sure it's 204 pin RAM that runs at 1333mHz. All of the brands listed above make that RAM at different price points (OWC will be the most expensive, but has great customer service).

EDIT: If I'm understanding the question of 16GB as 4x4GB sticks (not 2x8GB sticks, which do exist, but are very expensive), then it's really a question of money. RAM isn't terribly expensive, and plenty of users mix the stock RAM with after market RAM without experiencing issues. Assuming you get another 2010 or a 2011 iMac, the same RAM should work in both computers.

If you know that you want the 8GB of RAM for your next iMac, then go with a 16GB or 2 8GB kits, since you'll need to get 8GB of RAM from somewhere down the road anyway. If you wait, however, RAM prices might go down a bit, but I'm not sure if they will or not by the time you buy the new iMac.

jsolares
Sep 10, 2011, 06:23 PM
I've had no problem with Patriot ram i got from amazon (i'm not in the us and amazon is easier than newegg or other retailers), it was the cheapest at the time and has worked fine for almost a year.