Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has sent out an email to registered developers today notifying them that the company has opened the iTunes Match beta to additional developers in the United States. The iTunes Match beta was initially opened late last month, but closed to new registrations within a few hours after the initial quota of developers was reached.
iTunes Match beta testing has now been expanded to additional developers in the United States.

iTunes Match stores your music library in iCloud and allows you to enjoy your collection from anywhere, any time, on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or computer. Any of your songs, including music you've imported from CDs, that matches with the 18 million songs in the iTunes Store will become available in iCloud and will play back at iTunes Plus quality (256 Kbps DRM-free AAC) -- even if your original was of a lower quality.
Apple goes on to note that developers must upgrade to the new iTunes 10.5 beta 8 in order to use iTunes Match, and continues to warn that all iCloud libraries will be deleted at the end of the beta testing period, so users should be sure to retain copies of their music libraries.

itunes_match_beta_reopened.jpg

iTunes Match is priced at $24.99 per year, and Apple is providing developers who sign up for the service with additional time on their subscription to carry them through the beta testing period and the first full year of public availability.

Article Link: Apple Reopens iTunes Match Beta for U.S. Developers

spasm321

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
Someone who does have iTunes Match, could you tell me what you're renew date is? My renew date is a year from when I signed up. Does that mean after it goes live, my renew date will be updated? Or are others renew date set to 15 months later as opposed to 12?

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
Getting the "full" message as well. Bummer.

So, if I understand correctly, if I sign up, my iCloud library will be deleted, not the library on my Mac, right?

Sorry, probably a dumb question but just making sure I understand correctly.

I'd like to keep my library on my Mac and just copy it to the iCloud. If that's how it works, then I don't care if they delete my iCloud library. I can just upload it again.

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
I had even no idea that iTunes Match registration closed at some point in the past. lulz

Guess I need the service that badly. :rolleyes:

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Someone who does have iTunes Match, could you tell me what you're renew date is? My renew date is a year from when I signed up. Does that mean after it goes live, my renew date will be updated? Or are others renew date set to 15 months later as opposed to 12?

mines Aug 30, 2012. Guessing it will update upon public launch.

spasm321

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
This happened with the first batch of Dev accounts. Give it some time but don't give up.

And remember you need a U.S. credit card and Dev account.

About the developer account part, not true...You just need iTunes 10.5 Beta and a U.S. Credit Card or even a iTunes gift Card.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I don't mind spending the $ during the dev program, but does anyone actually have this working full force? All I see is problems with it, and no sense spending more cash for a beta non working service.

Keeping in mind the nature of "Betas". Once you get stuff uploaded and figure out what Match allows and doesn't allow it works ok.
All my music is in the cloud. No local storage on my iPad or iPhone 4.

Playlists update pretty well but there are still a few bugs to work out.

It's not for the faint of heart though. :p

neccoloup

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
My iTunes match finished with the last update, but after turning it on on my iphone, the music app shows the cloud with spinning circle for a few seconds before going back to the 'no music' screen. What am i doing wrong here? Dev forums don't seem to mention this at all

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
mine is also the first day it was released. :(

anyone know how to remove songs from the cloud? what if you record a radio show send it to itunes listen to it and then want to delete it after. currently i see no way. oh and if its a 4 hour program you want to make it keep position so you change it in itunes but doesn't sync over where it left off.

i don't have the music tab on my iphone anymore in itunes
andy ideas?

yes i know it is still in beta. but apple is still charging people for it already.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
Hmmm..maybe I should just skip this. I thought I would be able to keep what's local on my iPhone and then use iCloud to get songs that I couldn't load due to lack of space on my iPhone.

Sounds like once you upload your library, you have to load all your songs on your iPhone through iCloud. Yikes!

Not sure if I'm ready to live on that "edge" yet. haha

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
What about bit rates higher than 256K?

I haven't seen this anywhere, do I'll ask here. What about songs that are encoded much higher than 256... in lossless. If they are uploaded to the iCloud iTunes Match system, will they play back in the original much higher bit rate, or be down-converted to 256?

US Marine

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
Charleston, SC
Any of your songs, including music you've imported from CDs, that matches with the 18 million songs in the iTunes Store will become available in iCloud and will play back at iTunes Plus quality (256 Kbps DRM-free AAC) — even if your original was of a lower quality.

I'm sorry, but what?? You can't polish a turd, so why even waste the resources up-converting the lower bitrate songs? And what about higher bitrate songs? They get down-converted? No thank you, Apple. I will stick with Amazon for my cloud music storage.

Besides...who the bloody hell wants to use iTunes if they don't have to?

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
I'm sorry, but what?? You can't polish a turd, so why even waste the resources up-converting the lower bitrate songs? And what about higher bitrate songs? They get down-converted? No thank you, Apple. I will stick with Amazon for my cloud music storage.

Besides...who the bloody hell wants to use iTunes if they don't have to?

It doesn't up convert, it replaces entirely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.