Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoodyMedStudent

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

Hi guys, so I currently have an iPhone 4 and intend to upgrade to the iPhone 5 when it comes out. I was wondering how long it will take from the time the IP5 is announced until I can actually have one in my hand... And is it still worth it for me to get a case for my IP4. Thanks!

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Well I may be biased here as I currently use an Otterbox Defender for my iP4 but here goes. I'd say if you've gone this long there really isn't a point in investing much into a case. The phone probably has signs of wear and tear if it's been naked this long so I don't know how much that would affect the resale. Maybe you should think about buying a cheap silicon case for it just in-case you drop it within the next couple of weeks?

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
It's around 2 months until iPhone 5 time and I just ordered an OtterBox Defender for my iPhone. Granted I only paid $20 on eBay for it so I'm pleased. I like cases because if you drop the phone it will most likely still be protected and the better the condition the higher resell value it will have come upgrade time.

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
If the rumored release dates are accurate, you'd still have well over a month before an iPhone 5 is in your hand. It wouldn't hurt to just purchase a cheap case right now.

LTMK

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
NY, NY
It's around 2 months until iPhone 5 time and I just ordered an OtterBox Defender for my iPhone. Granted I only paid $20 on eBay for it so I'm pleased. I like cases because if you drop the phone it will most likely still be protected and the better the condition the higher resell value it will have come upgrade time.

Good luck if that is a REAL otterbox...

----------

I definitly will get a case for the iP4.. my case has saved my phone from two different drops....

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I purchased an Otterbox Defender from Amazon last night for $24 (no tax, shipping included).

I already have 3 silicone cases but wanted full protection after getting caught in the rain and having my iPhone 4 get wet. (Thankfully it still works fine but still.....)

Keep in mind when it comes to reselling your phone, it will look more attractive to buyers if you have a case or cases to sell along with your iPhone. The Defender will be my 4th (and last) case.

If I find iPhone 5 is worth the upgrade, I'm still in a good position with respect to selling the iP4. If I skip iPhone 5, then I'll keep the iP4 in the Defender until the potential 2012 4G iPhone.

MoodyMedStudent

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I wish they would announce the iPhone 5 already so I can decide if I'm gonna upgrade or not and feel better about buying a nice case for my IP4 :(

Technology just keeps rolling along. You just can't win at the game!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.