PDA

View Full Version : FileVault Lion and BitLocker in Windows

OngL
Sep 10, 2011, 08:44 PM
I have the following setup:
MacBook Air 2011 running Windows 7 and Lion (4 partition: EFI Boot, OSX, Windows7/Bootcamp, Recovery Partition).

To secure this, I'm thinking of enabling the FileVault (for OSX) and BitLocker for Win7. Now, I'm just wondering if both can co-exist at the same time? I don't have spare media to backup the whole HDD (with Lion, it's not that simple again with CCC).

Does FileVault only encrypt partition level and leave bootcamp alone or the whole HDD?

Thanks

Eric-PTEK
Sep 10, 2011, 09:48 PM
I have the following setup:
MacBook Air 2011 running Windows 7 and Lion (4 partition: EFI Boot, OSX, Windows7/Bootcamp, Recovery Partition).

To secure this, I'm thinking of enabling the FileVault (for OSX) and BitLocker for Win7. Now, I'm just wondering if both can co-exist at the same time? I don't have spare media to backup the whole HDD (with Lion, it's not that simple again with CCC).

Does FileVault only encrypt partition level and leave bootcamp alone or the whole HDD?

Thanks

My guess would be no.

Bitlocker exists in the MBR section which does no exist in a GUID setup disk...Apple has its own boot loader it uses for Bootcamp.

You can still use EFS though or maybe use TrueCrypt since it supports both?