PDA

View Full Version : What OS(s) are you running?

mrsir2009
Sep 10, 2011, 09:12 PM
What OS(s) are you running?

appleguy123
Sep 10, 2011, 09:13 PM
Lion.
I was going to create a Snow Leopard partition, but 10.7.1 resolved enough of my issues to prevent me from doing that.

Lyokokrill
Sep 10, 2011, 09:26 PM
Lion
It has treated me well and don't plan on going back unless something REALLY screws up. :)

WillEH
Sep 10, 2011, 09:27 PM
Lion/Windows 7. Windows 7 mainly for LoL (League of Legends)

ZBoater
Sep 10, 2011, 09:38 PM
Where is the Lion AND Windows option?

vitzr
Sep 10, 2011, 09:51 PM
I bought a new 13" MBA to try Lion since initially I saw nothing that would benefit me.

My main Macs are all running so fast (all with loads of ram & SSD's) and stable on 10.6.5 I didnt want to use them as testers.

My favorite 15" mid 2010 MBP runs OS X, Windows 7 & Linux. It's a very nice machine. I'm 100% satisfied and not about to change it.

Nor would I even think of installing Lion on my 2010 Mac Pro. That ones got two 512GB SSD's running OS X, Windows 7, Linux & Unix. 10.6.5 is serving me very well without the consumer level Mac App Store mucking things up.

mrsir2009
Sep 10, 2011, 09:58 PM
Where is the Lion AND Windows option?

I forgot to do a checkbox thing so that you could select more than one option. ...And there is no way to edit polls on MacRumors once voting has begun.

gr8tfly
Sep 10, 2011, 09:59 PM
Lion
Snow Leopard (ext. HD)
Mac OS 3.2 vMac
Mac OS 6.0.8 vMac
XP Bootcamp and Parallels VM
Win2k Parallels VM

ataboc
Sep 10, 2011, 10:00 PM
Liger

WSR
Sep 10, 2011, 10:59 PM
I'm staying with Snow Leopard until the following are fixed.

#1 The downgrading of Spaces and Expose. I find Mission Control to be less powerful.
#2 Lion's Full-Screen mode makes multiple monitors nearly useless. Snow Leopard's Full-Screen mode is better.
#3 The loss of the "Save As..." option.
#4 The loss of "Do you want to Save?"

That is unless I find even more reasons to stay with SL.

ZBoater
Sep 10, 2011, 11:27 PM
I forgot to do a checkbox thing so that you could select more than one option. ...And there is no way to edit polls on MacRumors once voting has begun.

Ok, well...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6683949/parallels.png

appleguy123
Sep 10, 2011, 11:28 PM
Why do you still need Windows 98?

ZBoater
Sep 10, 2011, 11:31 PM
Why do you still need Windows 98?

I wouldn't say "need". Question was "which OS(s) are you running?". It's more "because i can". :D

OS/2 Warp and Windows for Workgroups are next. Just waiting on a usb floppy disk drive...

appleguy123
Sep 10, 2011, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't say "need". Question was "which OS(s) are you running?". It's more "because i can". :D

OS/2 Warp and Windows for Workgroups are next. Just waiting on a usb floppy disk drive...

Does running all of these make your MacBook Air slower?

ZBoater
Sep 10, 2011, 11:35 PM
Does running all of these make your MacBook Air slower?

Just having them installed, no. i imagine if i try launching two or three at the same time, my MBA might choke. So far I can run Lion native and any one of those, and both are very responsive and snappy.

appleguy123
Sep 10, 2011, 11:41 PM
Just having them installed, no. i imagine if i try launching two or three at the same time, my MBA might choke. So far I can run Lion native and any one of those, and both are very responsive and snappy.

Okay. because my MacBook Air is coming in Monday, and I might want to run Windows 7 on it virtually!
Cant wait any longer. I ordered over a month ago!

ZBoater
Sep 10, 2011, 11:49 PM
Okay. because my MacBook Air is coming in Monday, and I might want to run Windows 7 on it virtually!
Cant wait any longer. I ordered over a month ago!

When installing Windows 7, i installed it using Bootcamp first, and then i used Parallels to create a virtual machine out of the bootcamp partition. i did this to have the option of booting natively into Windows for the best possible performance, and i still get to run it as a vm inside of Lion. Best of both worlds. Head on over to the Windows on the Mac forum right here on Macrumors. A lot of very smart people running Windows on their Macs that may be able to help you if you need it. Good luck! :D

Michael383
Sep 11, 2011, 01:14 AM
I'm running Lion on my Macs and Windows 7 on my other machines.

Young Spade
Sep 11, 2011, 01:24 AM
Windows 7 Ultimate Bootcamp
Ubuntu 11.x Parallels

mrsir2009
Sep 11, 2011, 01:49 PM
Wow, the take-up of Lion has been huge. Probably because of how easy Lion is to obtain and how cheap it is.

OllyW
Sep 11, 2011, 02:06 PM
I use computers running 10.7, 10.6, Windows 7 & Windows XP.

Wow, the take-up of Lion has been huge. Probably because of how easy Lion is to obtain and how cheap it is.

It's also because we have got a large number of Mac enthusiasts posting on these forums. The take-up is not yet quite that high in the real world (http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0).

mrsir2009
Sep 11, 2011, 02:37 PM
I use computers running 10.7, 10.6, Windows 7 & Windows XP.

It's also because we have got a large number of Mac enthusiasts posting on these forums. The take-up is not yet quite that high in the real world (http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0).

True. Almost everyone here is on the ball for every Apple release. :D

snorkelman
Sep 11, 2011, 03:28 PM
Lion, because I've no choice on a 2011 MBA otherwise I'd have Snow Leopard on it in jig time :D

Win XP via Virtual box (for various PC-only stuff for work, Xara Studio and a decent Gerber viewer)

WSR
Sep 11, 2011, 04:28 PM

Actually when you take into account that this is a part of the forum devoted to Lion, you would expect a high percentage to be using Lion.

I would say that the fact that about 20% aren't using Lion but are still interested in Lion to read this part of the forum is a statement about the problems with Lion both the bugs and the philosophical changes.

----------

Lion, because I've no choice on a 2011 MBA otherwise I'd have Snow Leopard on it in jig time :D

Win XP via Virtual box (for various PC-only stuff for work, Xara Studio and a decent Gerber viewer)

I am definitely glad I bought my 2011 MBP before Lion came out. It's still happily running Snow Leopard.