Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JES

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Hi All,

Just got my new MBA and so far I'm loving it.

I'm wondering about placing it in a shell or sleeve. Mostly I will have it at work and move it from my office to other rooms or buildings where I teach. Sometimes I will fly with it. I have an old Brenthaven backpack that already has some padding in it, though the sleeve is long gone and was for a 2004 Macbook anyway.

Should I get a shell, just to protect it from scratching in the bag since it's got some padding? Or is it better to use a sleeve?

If I go with a shell, which one adds the least weight and bulk? (that is, after all, why I got the MBA).

Or is the backpack really enough? I don't mind signs of wear and tear on a computer's case, as long as the screen, etc, is clean.

DJBBOX

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2011
Miami, FL
check out the BookBook will go perfect with you extra geeky teacher status.:D and it looks cool. plus nobody is gonna try to steel an old book.

JES

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
That's hilarious -- looks a little bit on the bulky/heavy side, though.:D

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
IMO a shell is a ridiculous accessory for the Air. We are paying a premium for the size and aesthetics of an ultra thin, ultra light and incredibly sexy aluminum shell. So covering it up with a cheap plastic shell that adds weight and bulk doesn't make sense. Especially if the reasoning is "to keep it from getting scratched".

I've got a few scuffs on my MBA but I don't mind because this thing is a tool, not a collectors item.

toi

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
i went with both ,

sleeve keeps it safe when carrying out,shell keeps it safe when out actually using it

i used speck shell+ level 8 sleeve.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I have the Speck hard shell and it doesn't get more form fitting than that. I've since taken it off because I prefer the naked look.

I have several bags, the result of a "perfect sleeve" search, and I haven't decided to sell any on eBay. Yet. I have a Bohdi leather sleeve (black leather, very classy), a Knomo brown leather sleeve (seems very sturdy) and a Booq Viper (it's a bigger molded sleeve with room for my charger, USB hard drive and SuperDrive.

If you are going to be carrying it from classroom to classroom, I'd hate to say it but I think the Speck might be better. You can get a Speck AND a sleeve, as most sleeves will take the MBA with the Speck installed (the Viper doesn't). Putting the MBA on a surface is where the chance of scratches comes, and the Speck protects that. But at the cost of covering up the most attractive laptop on the market, I'd rather risk it and be careful when moving my MBA, but I don't move it as often as you seem to need to.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Im IN The Market Too

But the BookBook is over the top....Like the comment though:D I think I will just get a lappy bag, its what I have always used in the passed, and as yet (touch wood) I have managed not to trash anything...

The Air will mean I can use a laptop on a tray propped up in bed in the wee small hours (insomniac) without the weight of a 17.5 inch Tosh on my legs:)

Guess my iPad will be taking second place, but not for games!

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I like Speck on roadtrips and a Radtech sleeve for day-to-day use around town. If I were throwing it in a backpack full of books everyday, I would definitely use Speck for the added rigidity and protection from scuffs and dings.

darkspark88

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2011
When I buy a backpack I always ensure that it has a padded notebook/laptop section. Thus whenever I take the macbook travelling, it is always protected. Sleeves are the next best option. Allowing you to essentially make any bag a laptop friendly environment. The exception being that the sleeves usually only fit one size of laptop snugly.

Laptop bags have the benefit of fitting a range of sizes. The best case would be to take your laptop with you to a store and try their cases/bags. A shell does defeat the point of having an thin aluminium body. And it's unlikely your laptop should need protection during use. Unless you're using it in a harsh environment.

GMcGarity

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2010
I recently ordered the bookbook and while it does in fact look cool I am having a function over form issue with it.

I have looked all over the internet and haven't found many complaints I think mostly because people invest 80 dollars into it they try to ignore its flaws. I have a major issue with the zippers and many have talked about the zippers breaking off but no one has mentioned how the zippers can scratch the computer itself. When you open the bookbook the zippers scratch the corners of your screen as its opening.

I bought the bookbook to protect my computer not to damage it every time I use it. So in moving forward I am torn between the Hardcandy Bubble Sleeve or the Tucano Second Skin Sleeve.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Hard Candy Bubble case is great. Lots of protection offered and I even use it as a lap pad to place the MBA on top while using.

litchblade

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2011
I always thought there is the risk with getting scratches from little sand corns etc. when you use hard cases?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.