Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
A friend of mine has a very lightly used 13" MBA (128GB HD)... he paid about $1325 after tax... he doesn't use it enough to justify the expense so he wants to sell it to me for $1150... I haven't really been in the market so I didn't know what these are selling for. Is this a good price? Anything I should look out for?

Thanks!

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
How long has he had it? You'll certainly have to inspect it in person. Just check for the usual cosmetic blemishes, if any, and make sure the keys are working, it boots up properly, the trackpad is responsive, if the screen is all right (no dead pixels, etc), it can charge properly, the ports are all okay. Once you get into the system, also check the battery cycles (under Apple icon > About this Mac > More Info > System Report > Power). The lower the better.

Otherwise, a nearly brand new Air for $1150 is quite a good deal. Save on price and tax.

If you really care about these things, you can investigate if it's a Samsung/LG/Toshiba display and/or SSD (some people really care about these things, but really, either manufacturer is good in terms of the display, and my understanding is that the Samsung SSD is slightly faster at transfer speeds than the Toshiba SSD). Please correct me if I'm wrong, those that know better.

Can anyone think of anything else to look out for?

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
How long has he had it? You'll certainly have to inspect it in person. Just check for the usual cosmetic blemishes, if any, and make sure the keys are working, it boots up properly, the trackpad is responsive, if the screen is all right (no dead pixels, etc), it can charge properly, the ports are all okay. Once you get into the system, also check the battery cycles (under Apple icon > About this Mac > More Info > System Report > Power). The lower the better.

Otherwise, a nearly brand new Air for $1150 is quite a good deal. Save on price and tax.

If you really care about these things, you can investigate if it's a Samsung/LG/Toshiba display and/or SSD (some people really care about these things, but really, either manufacturer is good in terms of the display, and my understanding is that the Samsung SSD is slightly faster at transfer speeds than the Toshiba SSD). Please correct me if I'm wrong, those that know better.

I would check to see if it is a C2D or SB model. Also the amount of ram. That price seems pretty good for a 2011 SB with 4GB of ram. But you can do better than that if it is a 2010 C2D. Both are great machines but the value has dropped more for the earlier machine.

All can be found in "About this Mac"

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC

I would check to see if it is a C2D or SB model. Also the amount of ram. That price seems pretty good for a 2011 SB with 4GB of ram. But you can do better than that if it is a 2010 C2D. Both are great machines but the value has dropped more for the earlier machine.

All can be found in "About this Mac"

Thanks for the replies. He's has it for about a month, maybe 6 weeks. It's a new i5 model with Thunderbolt, not the older C2D. Thanks for the good advice about checking for pixels... it would have slipped my mind. I'll go check it out today and see how it looks. I figure it's time to upgrade my 15" early 2008 MBP... even though I just put a new SSD in it and it's rather quick.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
Thanks for the replies. He's has it for about a month, maybe 6 weeks. It's a new i5 model with Thunderbolt, not the older C2D. Thanks for the good advice about checking for pixels... it would have slipped my mind. I'll go check it out today and see how it looks. I figure it's time to upgrade my 15" early 2008 MBP... even though I just put a new SSD in it and it's rather quick.

i also have 15" 2008 MBP and thinking about getting MBA so that i can take it to school and it won't be too heavy in my backpack. What's your reason of getting MBA? One thing that scared me is going from 15" to 13" screen.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
i also have 15" 2008 MBP and thinking about getting MBA so that i can take it to school and it won't be too heavy in my backpack. What's your reason of getting MBA? One thing that scared me is going from 15" to 13" screen.

I think the screen resolution is the same for the 15" early 2008 MBP (pre-Unibody) and the 13" MBA. Also, the battery life is much better in the MBA. I mainly use the MBP around the house, and the weight and battery life are my main reasons for wanting to upgrade.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Thanks for the replies. He's has it for about a month, maybe 6 weeks.

someone selling something after only having it a month would send warning signals to me!

-pixcels?
-lightbleed?
-fan noise?
-sit flat no wobble?

look it over very carefully...and run it for a good 20 min or so...also i would want legit receipt from point of sale.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
i mean no matter what it is.. if the MBA still have to apple care warranty you don't really need to worry about it. Get the original receipt like tom vilsack said just to be safe but usually they don't check the receipt.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK

I went from the MBP to MBA (Both in Sig) and I'm loving it, sometimes feel the screen is a tad small, but rarely, same resolution so same usable space.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
OK, I picked up the machine... checked it out, played with it for a while... it's really flawless. Has the Toshiba chipset. Would have rather had the Samsung, but from what I read it doesn't really matter day to day. Screen looks great, no dead pixels. Case is unscathed and perfectly aligned. He even threw in a slipcover case. All in all, I think it was a good deal, and I was happy to help him out by taking it off his hands.

Anyone know the best way to restore the machine to factory default?

macosx22

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2011
OK, I picked up the machine... checked it out, played with it for a while... it's really flawless. Has the Toshiba chipset. Would have rather had the Samsung, but from what I read it doesn't really matter day to day. Screen looks great, no dead pixels. Case is unscathed and perfectly aligned. He even threw in a slipcover case. All in all, I think it was a good deal, and I was happy to help him out by taking it off his hands.

i believe you have to go into disk utility and yoy should be able to restore it there. Welcome to the world of Air, I have the 11 and its awesome, enjoy it.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
i believe you have to go into disk utility and yoy should be able to restore it there. Welcome to the world of Air, I have the 11 and its awesome, enjoy it.

Thanks, I did an Internet Recovery, erased with Disk Utility, now it's installing. This machine is so light and sleek it's really amazing. Now the question is what to do with my old MBP!

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
someone selling something after only having it a month would send warning signals to me!

-pixcels?
-lightbleed?
-fan noise?
-sit flat no wobble?

look it over very carefully...and run it for a good 20 min or so...also i would want legit receipt from point of sale.

If he/she has 2nd thoughts on the purchase, he/she would have been out of the return policy as allowed by the retailer from whom the item was bought from. So wouldn't he/she have to sell that MBA in order to buy something else? :confused: Furthermore, IMHO, just because someone sells something just after a month of purchase doesn't always mean that there is something wrong with that particular item.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Congrats. That is a good buy.

Thanks. The machine really is great... a huge upgrade. One annoyance: after I did the clean install, I attempted to download the iLife apps from the App Store, but since my friend had already downloaded them, they were authorized to him, and Apple wouldn't let me redownload them under my Apple ID. Anyway, he entered his Apple ID and password, then I downloaded them, and it works now. Glad I got it.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring

Nice, i paid close to 1700$ for mine (i'm not in the US, and no relative or someone i could trust were traveling)

stark4

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
Thanks. The machine really is great... a huge upgrade. One annoyance: after I did the clean install, I attempted to download the iLife apps from the App Store, but since my friend had already downloaded them, they were authorized to him, and Apple wouldn't let me redownload them under my Apple ID. Anyway, he entered his Apple ID and password, then I downloaded them, and it works now. Glad I got it.

hey OP how is MBA 13" screen compare to your old 15" screen? do you feel like you need more screen space while using your new MBA? i'm thinking to upgrade from my 2008 MBP 15" to MBA 13"

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
hey OP how is MBA 13" screen compare to your old 15" screen? do you feel like you need more screen space while using your new MBA? i'm thinking to upgrade from my 2008 MBP 15" to MBA 13"

Hey... I find the screen a TINY bit more cramped, as the text and all graphical elements are a little bit smaller. But the screen is the same resolution as the 2008 MBP, so I have the same workspace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.