PDA

View Full Version : Lion's standby mode hurting SSDs?

echo.park
Sep 11, 2011, 03:44 PM
So, when you put Lion to sleep, at least on the notebooks, after one hour, the system shuts off the RAM and writes the whole desktop image onto the SSD. Every time that happens, and you start up your computer again, there are large files written and read onto and from the SSD.

As we all know, SSDs have limited writing-circles before they start getting slow and finally 'die'.

What are your thoughts about this? Is Lion's standby mode hurting the SSDs?

(source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4392?viewlocale=en_US)

ZBoater
Sep 11, 2011, 04:02 PM
My thought is that this is a non-issue.

blackburn
Sep 11, 2011, 06:04 PM
You can disable the sleeping to the hd/ssd behavior. For example sleep only to ram:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Weaselboy
Sep 12, 2011, 11:09 AM
My thought is that this is a non-issue.

Agreed.

Newer SSDs have NAND cells that can handle 3,000 writes. So not until you have written to every last cell on the entire drive 3,000 times would you begin to see a problem. Unless you are an extremely heavy user, that is not going to happen for years of usage. Don't sweat it.

echo.park
Sep 12, 2011, 12:06 PM
Agreed.

Newer SSDs have NAND cells that can handle 3,000 writes. So not until you have written to every last cell on the entire drive 3,000 times would you begin to see a problem. Unless you are an extremely heavy user, that is not going to happen for years of usage. Don't sweat it.

Ok, it's just that I paid more than thousand bucks. That makes me worry sometimes. From now on I will relax. ;)