PDA

View Full Version : Downgrading 10.7.1 to 10.6.X [Relatively Urgent - No boot]

Sankersizzle
Sep 12, 2011, 05:08 AM
Hey everyone, school starts in 6 hours and I dun goofed my computer up.

I am going to start classes tomorrow, and I've learned I absolutely need a PC or Snow Leopard for some of my software. Cool, no biggie -I'll just downgrade.

Apparently not, because no matter what I do I can't boot to my Snow Leopard disk with the pesky Lion recovery partition in the way. I have literally tried everything in the world to try and unmount it and get rid of it, but nothing I do seems to work. I can't get rid of it. But what I have done is erase my Lion partition with some errant clicking, so now I have a blank hard drive and a Lion Recovery partition. I've searched Google and these forums, but apparently I'm the only one in history who has ever wanted to downgrade from 10.7.1 to 10.6.X. I have my Snow Leopard disc that came with the computer, as well as a 10.7.0 Lion boot disk I made. I feel like I have all the tools to complete this task before class starts, but I just can't unmount that recovery partition. I've tried terminal, single user mode, etc. Nothing works. Apparently in 10.7.0 you could go about upgrading and dowgrading all willy nilly without a care in the world but Apple put a stop to such activity with 10.7.1.

I want to erase the free space on the drive as well (I'm going to sell the drive and get a bigger SSD very, very soon) but I can't do that in Lion either. Does anyone know how I can get rid of the recovery partition so I can downgrade to Snow Leopard? I wouldn't mind getting some sleep (even 2 hours will do) so if you can help a brother out, let me know.

Sankersizzle
Sep 12, 2011, 10:25 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

So this is just literally impossible then?

whiteonline
Sep 12, 2011, 10:36 AM
Be sure to delete all the partitions first (not erase) with disk utility -- in the Partitions menu, hit the minus button at the bottom of the partitions window.

Then you should be able to boot off your SL disk and repartition/install... Good luck.

Sankersizzle
Sep 12, 2011, 10:42 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the reply, but I tried that and I get an error that says "partition failed - couldn't unmount disk". Nothing I do can get this disk to unmount. Am
I going to have to buy a FireWire cable and target disk mode my Mac so I can reformat it? Or will that not work either? What about installing lion on a USB stick?

kbmb
Sep 12, 2011, 10:48 AM
Did you boot into your SL DVD to use Disk Utility to clear all partitions and start over?

-Kevin

Sankersizzle
Sep 12, 2011, 10:56 AM

I don't think I can boot to SL DVD with the two Rey partition in place, when I tried to it just sits there are spins on the grey apple logo forever... Thanks though!

kbmb
Sep 12, 2011, 11:09 AM

I don't think I can boot to SL DVD with the two Rey partition in place, when I tried to it just sits there are spins on the grey apple logo forever... Thanks though!

So I just tried this....I have a MacBook (2008) that came with Leopard. I have my Leopard reinstall DVDs.

On the Macbook right now is Lion (with the Recovery Partition).

I just put in my reinstall DVD.....restarted....held the 'C' key at startup....and it booted me into the Leopard install which allows me to use Disk Utility.

Maybe your DVD is dirty or scratched?

-Kevin

Sankersizzle
Sep 13, 2011, 04:47 PM
So I just tried this....I have a MacBook (2008) that came with Leopard. I have my Leopard reinstall DVDs.

On the Macbook right now is Lion (with the Recovery Partition).

I just put in my reinstall DVD.....restarted....held the 'C' key at startup....and it booted me into the Leopard install which allows me to use Disk Utility.

Maybe your DVD is dirty or scratched?

-Kevin

Yep, this turned out to be the case, the DVD I used (while not dirty or scratched :S) isn't bootable, but shows up fine once I am booted (and acts like it should). I ended up making another Lion install disk from a friends computer and that worked like a charm.

Thanks for your help, bro!