Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwolfcale

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2010
I just noticed that PostgreSQL was listed as a user on my Macbook Pro running Lion. I have no idea how it got there and I just deleted the account. But I'm just wondering how that account could have been added without my knowledge? I had to google PostgreSQL to even find out what it is. Is this something I should be concerned about (someone trying to access my computer?) or did I just do something stupid?

If this info helps... I'm running Lion since the day it released on a 15" MacBook Pro. I have Adobe CS 4 & Final Cut Pro on here... iTeleport (VNC App)...

I appreciate the help!

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009
I just noticed that PostgreSQL was listed as a user on my Macbook Pro running Lion. I have no idea how it got there and I just deleted the account. But I'm just wondering how that account could have been added without my knowledge? I had to google PostgreSQL to even find out what it is. Is this something I should be concerned about (someone trying to access my computer?) or did I just do something stupid?

If this info helps... I'm running Lion since the day it released on a 15" MacBook Pro. I have Adobe CS 4 & Final Cut Pro on here... iTeleport (VNC App)...

I appreciate the help!

Do you have PostgreSQL installed or the OS X Server add-on?

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Lion Server has PostgreSQL as the database (rather than MySQL), they probably just pre-populated the Postgres user so they don't have to put that in for the 'Server install. They did exactly the same thing with the MySQL user in previous versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.