Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

epson730.jpg

Epson has quietly introduced AirPrint support for several models in its Fall 2011 line of printers. AirPrint, the driverless printing service that Apple supports in its iOS devices, has previously been supported only by printers from HP. These are the Epson printers that are AirPrint Compatible:
Nearly a year ago, Steve Jobs promised AirPrint support for "lots more" printers.

Article Link: Epson Rolls Out AirPrint Support for Some Printers

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Printopia looks great and all for enabling this for all printers. I heard AirPrintActivator had issues with Lion that were being worked on (beta version out yet?). But my guess is that Apple pulled it from OS X because of some agreement they had to honor with HP to give HP exclusivity for a period. The best part about this Epson news is that it signals the end of any such exclusivity agreement, so I am now hopeful that Apple will roll this back into OS X.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

AirPrint is the only way to go, IMO!

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

bowlerman625 said:

Agreed. AirPrint is awesome.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia

Who really needs to print anymore? I can't remember the last time I needed to print something... at least a year or two ago.

Ricky Smith

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2006
Boston, MA
Who really needs to print anymore? I can't remember the last time I needed to print something... at least a year or two ago.

Yes because you don't need to print anymore means everyone doesn't need to print anymore. :rolleyes:

The business world still prints quite a lot.

petitpiton

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2009
UK
You can AirPrint to any printer shared from a Mac running Lion with a one-liner in Terminal. Works great with my 8 year old Canon multifunctional.

No need to buy an app to do it.:D

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
Kodak also rolled out e-printing for it's line of printers

Look like more e-printing is starting to show up, Kodak just added for it's line of printers e-printing. If you have one of the new printers you can print directly to it, if you have one of the older printers like i do, they have a little app that runs on the Mac and sends google print documents over to the printer.

ayala421

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2010
You can AirPrint to any printer shared from a Mac running Lion with a one-liner in Terminal. Works great with my 8 year old Canon multifunctional.

No need to buy an app to do it.:D

I hear the "Print n Share" app works real good and Printopia doesn't work unless your Mac is on...which in my opinion somewhat defeats the purpose of Airprint.

petitpiton

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2009
UK
Printopia looks great and all for enabling this for all printers. I heard AirPrintActivator had issues with Lion that were being worked on (beta version out yet?). But my guess is that Apple pulled it from OS X because of some agreement they had to honor with HP to give HP exclusivity for a period. The best part about this Epson news is that it signals the end of any such exclusivity agreement, so I am now hopeful that Apple will roll this back into OS X.

They already have implemented the raster filters which were missing in Snow Leopard in Lion. One small change to the advertising of shared printers and AirPrint will work with any printer shared from your Mac. You can make the change yourself in Terminal or wait for Apple to enable it in an update to OS X. It's trivial for Apple to enable this when they're ready to.

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada

There are still many instances where some of us need to print. Some movie tickets still need to be printed (though that's fast diminishing); foir those who don't own cars but need to rent when going on trips, it's better to print out maps then to use an IOS device. I often print out articles for friends who don't have IOS devices. If you have to do long form taxes, you sort of need a printer.

There are still many many reasons for needing a printer.

csjcsj

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
Sarasota FL
Most of my printing is for mailing labels to send stuff back to Amazon. Two non-Apple monitors now tried - I'm giving up ...

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
My parents said that they might be interested in getting iPads (although not seriously thinking about it yet). If/when they get iPads, this would be good. My dad loves to write and I could see hime printing up a storm for all his novels, poetry, etc. he writes. My home wouldn't print very often but may find a good recipe or something.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
They already have implemented the raster filters which were missing in Snow Leopard in Lion. One small change to the advertising of shared printers and AirPrint will work with any printer shared from your Mac. You can make the change yourself in Terminal or wait for Apple to enable it in an update to OS X. It's trivial for Apple to enable this when they're ready to.

nice... I'll google it when I upgrade to Lion this month.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I'm sad to see the Epson NX420 not getting AirPrint support while the NX430 does. I just got the printer with my iMac in June and it's good for scanning & printing wirelessly. But it needs AirPrint support! I have it hacked currently, but I dislike having to leave a computer on just to print to this thing... :(

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Who'd want to buy an ink-jet printer? I'd only buy a laser one, they actually last like 5+ years.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
I hate that they don't have an update for my Epson Artisan 810. It's wireless, has bonjour... but no AirPrint. Just bought it last year. Other than they WANT you to buy a new one to use AirPrint, half of the printers that they don't have AirPrint installed on are more than able to use it. Maybe they'll roll out an update sometime... doubt it though. Off goes the support email.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
I love how everyone is reacting to this story by saying "all you have to do is enable such-and-such in the terminal or run this piece of software to make your shared printer AirPrint compatible..."

THE WHOLE POINT OF AIRPRINT FOR ME IS THAT I DON'T HAVE TO TAKE OUT MY LAPTOP AND HAVE A SEPARATE COMPUTER RUNING TO PRINT FROM MY IPHONE!!!

If I have to turn the computer on, I'll just print it from there... Sheesh!

Let us know when you guys have a patch I can install on my PRINTER to make it AirPrint compatible. THEN I'll be excited...

petitpiton

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2009
UK
I love how everyone is reacting to this story by saying "all you have to do is enable such-and-such in the terminal or run this piece of software to make your shared printer AirPrint compatible..."

THE WHOLE POINT OF AIRPRINT FOR ME IS THAT I DON'T HAVE TO TAKE OUT MY LAPTOP AND HAVE A SEPARATE COMPUTER RUNING TO PRINT FROM MY IPHONE!!!

If I have to turn the computer on, I'll just print it from there... Sheesh!

Let us know when you guys have a patch I can install on my PRINTER to make it AirPrint compatible. THEN I'll be excited...

Then presumably you're delighted that you can now buy a new HP OR Epson Printer! Past experience suggests expecting printer manufacturers to update firmware for their existing models is the path to disappointment. I think increasing support from more manufacturers across new models is the best you can hope for. Anything more would be a real bonus.

For me, leaving my MacBook in deep sleep and printing whenever I like from my iPad / iPhone works really nicely. I do recognise that will not be as convenient for everyone though. I'm only raising the Terminal route in this thread as I thought it might help some people out and as an alternative to paying for some third party application to do the same. YMMV.

Here's hoping for a flurry of printer firmware updates...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.