PDA

View Full Version : Relocation of Finder favorites

rasmuslp
Sep 12, 2011, 04:16 PM
Hi,

I have got the famous SSD+HDD combo in my Macbook Pro. OS X is installed on the SSD, and my user folder is also located on the SSD. However, I would like to have some of the default folders in the home directory moved to the HDD, e.g. the Downloads folder, while keeping a shortcut in the home dir and a reference in the favorites bar.

In SL I simply created a new folder on the HD, symlinked "Downloads" to that, and draged it to the favorites in Finder. This left my with one problem: the missing icons on the folders themselves and the icons in the favorites bar. In Lion, this is even more apparent at the icons in the favorites are even more special.

Is there an easy way to move the location of e.g. the Downloads folder, while retaining a reference in my home dir, and having the fancy icons on both the folder and in the favorites bar?

Plain and simple: I just want to change where the Downloads folders content is stored while retaining the look and feel.

rasmuslp
Sep 12, 2011, 04:39 PM
I've actually managed to find out how to set icons on the folders created on the HDD to make them look like the original folders in the home dir. I found all the icons needed, both for the folder and the ones used in Finder's favorites, here /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/.

However, I still cannot figure out how to get icons set on the folders draged to the Finder's favorites list..

Dale Sorel
Sep 12, 2011, 06:03 PM
However, I still cannot figure out how to get icons set on the folders draged to the Finder's favorites list..
Yes, I'd really like to know how to get icons from folders to show up in the Finder's favorites bar as well.