Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
They have corrected the max. volume for France. In the list of changes, in the french text, it says:
"* Gestion des livres audio électroniques d'AudibleTM et des émissions audio"

I need no french lessions to read this right. Cool, they fixed it FAST.
:)

Edit: I translated it wrong.. arg... looks like the 104 dB problem is not fixed yet.

newmanium

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
i updated my little 10gig iPod and i still get a bad readout on my battery (full charge one minute, 2 bars the next, next minute its no bars...). worse than that, when i initially plug in the ipod it gives of this horrible "screeeee" sound off the hard drive as if its crying out in pain. it goes away after about 5 minutes but its an annoying 5 minutes.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by newmanium
i updated my little 10gig iPod and i still get a bad readout on my battery (full charge one minute, 2 bars the next, next minute its no bars...). worse than that, when i initially plug in the ipod it gives of this horrible "screeeee" sound off the hard drive as if its crying out in pain. it goes away after about 5 minutes but its an annoying 5 minutes.

That doesn't sound good, dude. Does it happen every time you plug it in? If so, I would take it in to an Apple Store and show them. Is your iPod still under warranty?

newmanium

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
Actually I bought it quite recently (last saturday). But instead of going through the Apple, I opted to go through CompUsa and got it there. why, you ask? easy, because they offer something Apple doesn't, a product replacement plan. If anything happens to your ipod, instant new one, no questions asked.

The good news is that I got mine replaced probably because it was a defective hard drive, but the bad news is that my ipod still gives me incorrect battery readouts. I've formatted and updated but to no avail. Hopefully I'm the only one having this problem and this isn't a wide spread case of bad ipods.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by newmanium
I own a 5gig iPod, and it has the same problem (weird noise as you described) when it's plugged in and my mac goes to 'sleep' mode...but it occurs only sometimes, and when you plug it off, it's fine... no clue what this is, but my warranty is over for about half a year anways :rolleyes:

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
Actually I bought it quite recently (last saturday). But instead of going through the Apple, I opted to go through CompUsa and got it there. why, you ask? easy, because they offer something Apple doesn't, a product replacement plan. If anything happens to your ipod, instant new one, no questions asked.

... umm thats horse****. i accidentilly busted a plastic ring around the headphone jack on my iPod (an original - warranty expired long ago) - which rendered a purchased iPod remote unusable. I took it to the Apple Store & hoped the repair wouldn't cost too much.

they gave me a BRAND NEW iPod - no questions asked. on the spot. they transfered my files from the HD (non-audio) and sent that one back to Apple for repairs and to sell to someone else as a refurb.

Don't say Apple doesn't give product replacements - because they sure as hell do. It's Apple's way of doing business - at the Apple Store or CompUSA - Apple is behind the scenes doing all of that.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by gandalf55

... umm thats horse****. i accidentilly busted a plastic ring around the headphone jack on my iPod (an original - warranty expired long ago) - which rendered a purchased iPod remote unusable. I took it to the Apple Store & hoped the repair wouldn't cost too much.

they gave me a BRAND NEW iPod - no questions asked. on the spot. they transfered my files from the HD (non-audio) and sent that one back to Apple for repairs and to sell to someone else as a refurb.

Consider yourself fortunate. The same thing happened to me back when I first purchased my original model 5gig iPod. I called up the Apple Store, and they told me that there was nothing that could be done, apart from a new case which would set me back around $250. I laughed the guy off, drove down to my nearest reseller, and had them replace it. They had a new iPod for me the next week. I guess it all depends on who you talk to.

ryme4reson

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Cupertino CA
Back to 1.2.1

I think theyfixed the sound check. I know it was implemented in 1.2, but it never worked for me. I like to use my iPod with my system in my room, and when i am in the shower in the morning with the music loud, sometimes the next song will be way 2 loud, and it distorts, and sounds like my receiver is going to explode. I just updated, and finished cleaning my bathroom (the music REALLY Loud) and there was no sound level difference between songs. Thanks Apple for finally fixing this

newmanium

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
Haha, and the same thing has happened to me too. I had the original 5gig myself before upgrading and it had the tendency of muting the sound when starting songs every so often. I took it to the apple store near me and although they believed me they couldn't "recreate the problem", as they call it. And so before giving up on me they told me that my computer was probably at fault and i should consider reinstalling os X. My warranty was still fine but i felt a bit cheated that if its not a serious problem they won't take responsibility for it. but like Hemingray said, it all depends on the person you talked to.

The great thing about CompUsa was they're ability to cover ANY kind of damage to the ipod. whether dropped, spilled on, scratched or cracked, they replace any defects and user created damage. and for me, it was worth the $40 insurance.

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
Re: iPod Update 1.2.1

1.2.1 has nothing new and exciting in it, I wonder if they will have another major update soon? 1.3? 1.5? 2.0???!!! It would be great if u could enter an address into the pod via the pod, not the comp or isync, it would be so cool, like a palm pilot!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: Re: iPod Update 1.2.1

Originally posted by samdweck
1.2.1 has nothing new and exciting in it, I wonder if they will have another major update soon? 1.3? 1.5? 2.0???!!! It would be great if u could enter an address into the pod via the pod, not the comp or isync, it would be so cool, like a palm pilot!
Trying to enter anything into the iPod with only the scrool wheel and buttons would be a total nightmare, it'd take 4ever!

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
Re: Re: Re: iPod Update 1.2.1

Originally posted by edesignuk

Trying to enter anything into the iPod with only the scrool wheel and buttons would be a total nightmare, it'd take 4ever!

You are totally right. I twould be living he double hockey sitcks.. I would not like it lol! I think the iPod is becoming pretty complex as is, it's enough for me!

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Naw, I don't think it would be TOO bad! Just use the scroll wheel to scroll through the letters, have the pause button be a case shifter and the menu button to delete, the forward and reverse buttons for navigation through the entry, and the center button to enter.

Sure, it would take awhile, but that's assuming we don't use it like a PDA! Only to maybe enter in a new contact's phone number for instance. Or change an MP3's ID3 tag. I think it's a little bit inconvenient to only allow remote input to the iPod. I think we should at least have the OPTION of local input.

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by Hemingray
Naw, I don't think it would be TOO bad! Just use the scroll wheel to scroll through the letters, have the pause button be a case shifter and the menu button to delete, the forward and reverse buttons for navigation through the entry, and the center button to enter.

Sure, it would take awhile, but that's assuming we don't use it like a PDA! Only to maybe enter in a new contact's phone number for instance. Or change an MP3's ID3 tag. I think it's a little bit inconvenient to only allow remote input to the iPod. I think we should at least have the OPTION of local input.

well that is an interesting point, but i still dont' like the idea of that whole wheel scrolling thing!

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
Re: Re: Re: iPod Update 1.2.1

Originally posted by edesignuk

I don't think it would be that bad. People type whole e-mails on their cell phone. Now i consider that to be a nightmare. Using the scroll wheel to select letter would be pretty cool i think.

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
Re: Re: Re: Re: iPod Update 1.2.1

Originally posted by Fezwick

I don't think it would be that bad. People type whole e-mails on their cell phone. Now i consider that to be a nightmare. Using the scroll wheel to select letter would be pretty cool i think.

I really never liked mini-keyboards, or any of those "go-through-forty-five-things-to-select-a-capital-A" deals. I think they are annoying. However, I like the idea of a keyboard!

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: iPod Update 1.2.1

Originally posted by samdweck

I really never liked mini-keyboards, or any of those "go-through-forty-five-things-to-select-a-capital-A" deals. I think they are annoying. However, I like the idea of a keyboard!

A firewire keyboard would be cool, but i highly doubt that any company would actually make one.

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
iPod Update 1.2.1

Originally posted by Fezwick

A firewire keyboard would be cool, but i highly doubt that any company would actually make one.

I wouldn't doubt anything in this day and age of technology, Apple has tons of things up their sleeve, and I bet it could happen!

kungfu

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
yeah i was really just kidding about the keyboard... not to mention, the fw port is at the top of the ipod so it would kind of be wierd. however, i could see other types of peripherals being added through that port like a mic or somethin...

kungfu

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by kungfu
yeah i was really just kidding about the keyboard... not to mention, the fw port is at the top of the ipod so it would kind of be wierd. however, i could see other types of peripherals being added through that port like a mic or somethin...

kungfu

yeah good point... but interestingly enough.. the position of the port is at the top... as you said... so the person who is being added could type their address for u! Much easier than u spelling out Vihigaboamarasta Street!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.