PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a PCI sound card

Jethryn Freyman
Sep 13, 2011, 12:55 AM
I've got a G5 tower here and I'd like to find a PCI sound card for it. Problem is, I can't seem to find anywhere that explicity state they are Mac compatible.

I don't want to use the optical output, it stops me from being able to adjust system volume using the keyboard (I have to control the volume directly from the speakers (Logitech Z-5500.))

I've found some cheap stuff on eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Ch-C-Media-Audio-PCI-Internal-PC-Sound-Card-Adapter-/320436889786?pt=AU_Components&hash=item4a9b86e8ba) but I don't know if it'll work. The card I linked to appears to have a C-Media chipset, I have one of their cheap USB 5.1 cards I also got from eBay and it does work.

burnout8488
Sep 13, 2011, 02:02 AM
What would be the benefit of a PCI analog sound card to you, over the onboard audio? Even if you were to find one with 5.1 output, I don't believe there would be any control over the channels in the system preferences pane. If there is a card with specific Mac software that adds a preference pane for discrete control over the sound card, I would be surprised.

What type of work do you do on your PowerMac?

Frankly, when you have external speakers, you want the preamp volume to be maxed on the Macintosh anyway. The only time the keyboard controls are really useful are when you're using the internal speaker, or headphones via the front panel jack. Controlling the volume at the actual amplifier, or external speakers in your case, is the best for sound quality, especially using the optical out where you have no choice.

reddrag0n
Sep 13, 2011, 03:21 AM
Last i recal was the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 for mac. it has now been discontinued, but you may be able to find one on ebay or so.

Nova77
Sep 13, 2011, 07:35 AM
Last i recal was the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 for mac. it has now been discontinued, but you may be able to find one on ebay or so.

The M-Audio Revolution has some nice features, but you have to keep in mind its not a pro audio card. It is more of a gamer / movies card. Also, there are reports everywhere of bad mac drivers (but I never owned one myself so who knows...).

OP, what do you want to do with your PCI card?

There are plenty of PCI mac compatible cards out there since in the pro audio world a lot of people use macs. Also, even though Apple switched to PCIe, due to studios having expensive gear designed specifically for G4 and G5s, you can still buy PCI cards NEW.

----------

What would be the benefit of a PCI analog sound card to you, over the onboard audio?

Even if you were to find one with 5.1 output, I don't believe there would be any control over the channels in the system preferences pane. If there is a card with specific Mac software that adds a preference pane for discrete control over the sound card, I would be surprised.

First, the benefit is you get at least twice as much the sample rate of the regular onboard audio, which means WAY, WAY BETTER quality and less (or almost none) delay while recording. You can also record and mix surround sound. Plus you can record multi tracks at the same time. You can also buy one with a midi interface.

Second, this is disinformation. Every card comes with drivers that allows you to select the output proprely, unless you buy a PC card that isn't recognized by the mac in the first place...

Not meant to be rude, but if you know nothing about PCI sound cards, why reply to the OP?

burnout8488
Sep 13, 2011, 08:35 AM
Mainly because it seemed that their reason for making the post was only to find an alternative to the onboard optical output, with no mention of recording. If that's all they're trying to find an alternative to, a dedicated card really wouldnt be worth it.

Jethryn Freyman
Sep 13, 2011, 09:07 AM
Mainly because it seemed that their reason for making the post was only to find an alternative to the onboard optical output, with no mention of recording. If that's all they're trying to find an alternative to, a dedicated card really wouldnt be worth it.
This is it, really. The M-Audio card I found on eBay for about $80, but I really am just looking for something cheap and nasty.

Thanks for the replies though!

I've ended up ordering a $4 C-Media 8738 PCI card from eBay, I've got reports of it works for G5 users, and I've found drivers. And if it doesn't work, it's only $4 so I'm not going to cry.

Nova77
Sep 13, 2011, 11:07 AM

You are right. By the way sorry if my post offended you. I really don't get why the OP wants a dedicated PCI audio card then....

burnout8488
Sep 13, 2011, 12:43 PM
No problem, I understood your viewpoint! I'm an audio-buff, but not when it comes to expansion on Macintosh computers.

Definitely let us know how the $4 card works! I'd be interested in a pic of it installed, to be honest.

Jethryn Freyman
Sep 13, 2011, 11:35 PM
Definitely let us know how the $4 card works! I'd be interested in a pic of it installed, to be honest.
No problem, when it gets here I'll report back on how it goes. It's going to take about three weeks though, it's in Hong Kong...