Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nashie-noo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
hi everyone
I'm currently staying in a hotel (and will be for the next 6 weeks) which only has ethernet internet in the rooms. my stupid old macbook (black one) can detect the ethernet signal (in the network preferences the little green light is on and states that it is connected) but when I open firefox (or safari for that matter) it says the server can't be found. I have tried every single possible version of entering the IP, DNS and so forth info that the hotel have provided, turned off the wifi, plugged everything in and out, and restarted a hundred times but no luck. the wifi on the other hand in lobby works without any problems...
has anyone else had this happen to them?

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
hi everyone
I'm currently staying in a hotel (and will be for the next 6 weeks) which only has ethernet internet in the rooms. my stupid old macbook (black one) can detect the ethernet signal (in the network preferences the little green light is on and states that it is connected) but when I open firefox (or safari for that matter) it says the server can't be found. I have tried every single possible version of entering the IP, DNS and so forth info that the hotel have provided, turned off the wifi, plugged everything in and out, and restarted a hundred times but no luck. the wifi on the other hand in lobby works without any problems...
has anyone else had this happen to them?

Try clearing everything in the browser setting, (history,cache, ect) if the ethernet says "Connected" then it should be working fine Just to be sure leave the ethernet in for like 4 minutes then go into the network settings and see if it says "No IP" or "Connected" if its no ip then its a problem with the hotels wired network. If its connected then try clearing the settings and see if it works if not you may have a bad ethernet cord or ethernet port (on the wall or macbook)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.