Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I've scoured the posts here regarding Lion and various wifi connection problems. Most appear to involved ethernet or Xboxes, neither of which applies in my case.

Most hotels I stay in have switched from ethernet to wifi in the rooms, soooo....my usual Airport Express game plan doesn't work (crud).

Means I have to connect my MacBook Air to the hotel network wirelessly (paid). The plan is to set up password protected wifi internet sharing on the MBA so my iPad can get online too (without having to pay for a second connection).

Went to System Prefs > Sharing > Internet, but there isn't a TO wifi option; just FROM wifi:

Sharing>Missing wifi option.jpg

(Probably goes without saying, but turning internet sharing on doesn't change the list of available options.)

Gotta have the outbound wifi option for the iPad to connect. Bluetooth PAN doesn't work (not to mention cuts out any chance of password protection).

Help, anyone...? Thanks in advance!

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
you can only share internet if you use different connection. wi-fi to wi-fi will not work, nor will ethernet to ethernet. You can go ethernet to wi-fi or wi-fi to ethernet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.