PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to a sleeping MacMini.

sazaks
Sep 13, 2011, 10:33 AM
I'm trying to access a shared drive on my 2011 MacMini using my 2011 13" MBA for files and time machine. Shouldn't the MBA be able to send a Wake-on-Wifi request to the MacMini and wake it up?

Coincidentally my parents can't wake their MacMini from their MBP to use the share printer.

Ruahrc
Sep 13, 2011, 12:29 PM
Aside from the obvious starter of "did you check the wake for network access option", are you using an Apple router? From what I heard, some models of router do not support Wake on Wifi. Wake on (ethernet) LAN works fine, but Wifi is not as commonly supported.

Ruahrc

tinybruk
Sep 13, 2011, 12:51 PM
Ok..I have same problem since upgrading my MBP to Lion. I cant wake my iMac (still on Snow Leopard) from sleep. My MBP is connecting to the router via wifi but the iMac is ethernet connected to the router.

This never happened until I upgraded the MBP to Lion, worked perfectly before.

Lots of other users are experiencing same issue since Lion upgrade.

sazaks
Sep 13, 2011, 01:20 PM
From the info I've been able to find on Apple's Wake On Demand feature, it seems like I need have a device on the network running Apple's Sleep Proxy Service. This device keeps track of Macs that have gone to sleep and issues the wake commands. From the documentation, Airport Routers and Time Capsules can run this service as well as a Mac with the "Internet Sharing" enabled.

I guess I have no choice but to purchase a Apple Airport or leave the Mini on all the time.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Sleep_Proxy_Service_%28Bonjour_Sleep_Proxy%29

Smacky
Sep 28, 2011, 09:20 AM
Don't be so sure that will fix the problem
I run an Extreme base station and have had problems waking my mini (Lion) from sleep over wifi from a MBP
Worked fine under SL

Taz Mangus
Sep 28, 2011, 03:37 PM
My sleep issue with my Mac-Mini only happens if the Mac-Mini has been asleep for more then 2 hours. I do have an open case with AppleCare. If you are having an issue report it to Apple.

ablanc
Feb 17, 2012, 04:21 AM
i use lion and teamviewer,
teamviewer cannot wake sleeping mac mini.
is there any workaround for this?