PDA

View Full Version : Eligible for free upgrade. Should I bother?

Maccle
Sep 13, 2011, 06:35 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm a first time Mac user and I'm waiting for delivery on a refurbished MBP. I'm eligible to upgrade to Lion (comes with SL) for free. However, I've heard mixed stories about Lion and am not sure if I should upgrade just yet. I have a couple of questions though. If I redeem my upgrade code, can I choose to not install Lion right now, but keep it for future use? If I install it, can I go back to SL, yet keep Lion? Thanks for any help on this. :)

killerrobot
Sep 13, 2011, 06:45 PM
Yes you should get your copy of Lion before your 30 day time limit runs out. Otherwise you'll have to pay for it later.

Once you've redeemed it through the App store, it's up to you when you want to actually install it.

Lion, in my experience with a new MBP has been quick buggy and a battery eating OS. It might be best to hold off a while before installing, but if you do and don't like it you can reinstall SL with the disks that will come with your MBP.

Maccle
Sep 13, 2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks killerrobot! I'm actually getting an older 2010 model with the nVidia card. Not sure if that makes a difference, but I don't think there are any Lion features I'm dying for so might just redeem the code and hold off installation.

colourfastt
Sep 13, 2011, 07:18 PM
I say redeem but don't install. I just upgraded my iMac from 10.7.2 to 10.6.8 and am MUCH happier with the performance.

mrkramer
Sep 13, 2011, 07:24 PM
Definitely get it try it out and if you prefer snow leopard you can downgrade and you have lion to install free after it's gotten a few upgrades.

foppinanrockin
Sep 13, 2011, 07:34 PM
It will probably come with lion pre-installed. I got a refurb MBP last week and it came with lion already on it

Maccle
Sep 13, 2011, 08:10 PM
They said that the OS is SL but maybe the listing hadn't been updated and SL was what was originally on the system when it was new. If that's the case, I guess this thread is a moot point because I won't have access to SL. I was just wondering if there was some time limit whereby I had to install Lion if I redeemed the code.
Looking forward to venturing into the world of Macs. It's going to be strange closing apps by going to the top left hand corner...:D

harrisondavies
Sep 13, 2011, 08:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why wouldn't you? Get the free upgrade and downgrade later if you wish. But you've got the added reassurance of having the latest offering.

colourfastt
Sep 13, 2011, 09:03 PM
Definitely get it try it out and if you prefer snow leopard you can upgrade and you have lion to install free after it's gotten a few upgrades.

There .. fixed it for you. :D

sam2428
Sep 16, 2011, 04:08 PM
I am in the same boat as the OP

I just purchased a new 2010 27" iMac from MacMall and it comes with the free upgrade for Lion. I too want to stay on SL until the kinks are worked out with Lion. I was planning on downloading Lion and putting it on a USB flash drive and just keep it on there for whenever I want to upgrade. This way, I can do a clean upgrade from the usb stick.

Not sure how to set up the USB drive to be able to do this...ill have to look that up

iThinkergoiMac
Sep 16, 2011, 06:02 PM
Redeem the code. You can then download it whenever you want (and however many times you want). You don't have to mess with making the USB installer now, and I wouldn't anyway. If you make it now, and then Lion goes through several updates before you decide to install, you'll just have to make the USB installer again.

sam2428
Sep 17, 2011, 01:13 AM
Redeem the code. You can then download it whenever you want (and however many times you want). You don't have to mess with making the USB installer now, and I wouldn't anyway. If you make it now, and then Lion goes through several updates before you decide to install, you'll just have to make the USB installer again.

ahh...makes sense. Cool, i didnt know you could download the software as many times as i want. Thats good to know!

iThinkergoiMac
Sep 17, 2011, 08:54 AM
ahh...makes sense. Cool, i didnt know you could download the software as many times as i want. Thats good to know!

Yup. It would be silly otherwise (though that doesn't mean it wouldn't happen, some companies make terrible decisions).

Jerome Morrow
Sep 17, 2011, 03:03 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm a first time Mac user and I'm waiting for delivery on a refurbished MBP. I'm eligible to upgrade to Lion (comes with SL) for free. However, I've heard mixed stories about Lion and am not sure if I should upgrade just yet. I have a couple of questions though. If I redeem my upgrade code, can I choose to not install Lion right now, but keep it for future use? If I install it, can I go back to SL, yet keep Lion? Thanks for any help on this. :)

I'm waiting 3 days for that damn redeem code. Of course get it, it's free for you, but their stupid up to date program is slow that's for sure.

blackomega31
Sep 18, 2011, 01:09 AM
My advise don't even go near lion even with a ten foot pole. Lion is such a huge disappointment in the worst way

Jerome Morrow
Sep 18, 2011, 08:17 AM
My advise don't even go near lion even with a ten foot pole. Lion is such a huge disappointment in the worst way

It works fine.

waynep
Sep 18, 2011, 08:38 AM
It works fine.

I have Lion on a 2010 MBP. No problems. Yes the battery life is not quite as good as it was with SL but it's not bad. I am staying on Lion, and not going back to SL. No reason to go back really.