Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naix

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
Im downloading windows 8 on my pc. I would like to know if parallels or bootcamp supports windows 8. Has anyone tested it out?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You should be able to get it to run in either. That doesn't imply support though.

You are more likely to not need drivers under a VM solution.

B

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2006
/private/var/root
I've gotten windows 8 running under boot camp on my MacBook Pro.
I've put in the DVD that came with my computer for software restore as you're supposed to do when you finish setting up windows. I installed the bootcamp software on the windows side and the resolution is set but I can't get tapping on the trackpad to register and the keyboard backlight can not be shut off.

slackpacker

macrumors 6502a
I've gotten windows 8 running under boot camp on my MacBook Pro.
I've put in the DVD that came with my computer for software restore as you're supposed to do when you finish setting up windows. I installed the bootcamp software on the windows side and the resolution is set but I can't get tapping on the trackpad to register and the keyboard backlight can not be shut off.

I have it running under Parallels 7 - works great but it would be so much better if I could get Parallels Tools installed. All I get is a black screen and I basically hosed my install because I can't uninstall the driver because I can't see it.

Objectivist-C

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2006
VMWare Fusion errors out before the installer finishes loading, using the 64-bit version. Anyone else find a way around it?

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Just installed it under bootcamp on my MBP 8,1 without installing the bootcamp windows software. backlit keyboard isn't lit and wireless isn't detected. I'll try installing the bootcamp drivers tomorrow when I get the time.

Question, how do you shutdown or reboot from windows 8? I couldn't find the option so I just held the power button down so I could get back into Lion.

DopeyFish

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Just installed it under bootcamp on my MBP 8,1 without installing the bootcamp windows software. backlit keyboard isn't lit and wireless isn't detected. I'll try installing the bootcamp drivers tomorrow when I get the time.

Question, how do you shutdown or reboot from windows 8? I couldn't find the option so I just held the power button down so I could get back into Lion.

if you have a tablet (obvious you dont so disregard this one part) swipe from the right to bring up the uh whatever the hell side menu thing is called (keep forgetting the name) and click settings

or hit Windows+I shortcut to bring it up and hit the power button from the selection menu on the bottom right

that or press ctrl+alt+del and hit the power button in the lower right

naix

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
I have it running under Parallels 7 - works great but it would be so much better if I could get Parallels Tools installed. All I get is a black screen and I basically hosed my install because I can't uninstall the driver because I can't see it.

same thing happened to me... Im running it under parallels 6.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-14 at 1.49.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-14 at 1.49.42 AM.png
    310.8 KB · Views: 266

naix

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
reinstalled windows 8 without parallels tools. For some reason I cant use any other apps besides desktop, control panel, windows explorer on the tile screen.

edit: ok I can now use all the apps. I just needed to increase the resolution size.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm installing now on the newest version of Parallels 7.

It's near finished. Will update when done.

edit 1) Seems to be taking it's time.....

edit 2) Well windows is up and running, but parallels tools doesn't seem to be installing at all.

Last edited:

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
Hey everyone,

This will be the first time I try something like this, but I wanna install Windows 8 on my 2008 macbook. It's gonna be the first time I've used bootcamp.

Wanna make sure I got everything down.

I need the drivers correct? I tried getting them from Apple using the tool, but it always fails.
I need to make a partition, and then afterwards boot into it and install Windows 8 correct?

Then I should be done, right?

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
if you have a tablet (obvious you dont so disregard this one part) swipe from the right to bring up the uh whatever the hell side menu thing is called (keep forgetting the name) and click settings

or hit Windows+I shortcut to bring it up and hit the power button from the selection menu on the bottom right

They call it charm menu bar! lol

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010

lol, yep that will make things much more easier then to click on a start menu globe at the bottom right.
I wonder who the brains behind this operation is: you could just imagine it:
Bob: worker at Microsoft
Gates: head honcho at microsoft
Jimmy: Gates' Sec.
Bunch of MR Members too

Bob: Bill Sir, Bill. Mr Gates
Gates: Yes, you, how cna i help YOU?
Bob: Sir my name is bob
Gates: [nods, shrugs, blinks] Yes yes, BOB, you ... what do YOU wnat
Bob: Well sir, i just thought of this marvelous idea
Gates: Hmm what is it
Bob: Well sir, the stage on the street is the iPad right? So what if [deep pause]
Gates; Hurry up, time is precious
Bob: Sorry Sir, [clears throat rapidly] Umm. what if we give the public exactly that?
Gates: An iPad.. tsk tks tsk
Bob: No sir. We give them an Operating System that can be run on a a Desktop/Laptop and on a tablet. Making it a 2-in-1 design. Classy sir, right?
Gates: [Eyes open wide, he faces Bob, and places his hands on his shoulder] [Sarcastic tone]
Bob, you are a genius. We will give the public just that. a 2-in-1 OS, that cannot possibly be a failure or even a stupid idea.
Bob: [cries tears of joy]
Gates [walks away, laughing his head off]
Bob: You hear that nubs, I gave a brilliant idea, now get to work. I want this finished ASAP
Later that day:
Jimmy: Sir Sir, how could you approve that idea of the 2-in1 OS. It's simply ridiculous. We will make fools out of ourselves
Gates: who said i approved, I was being sarcastic to that young bafoon.
Jimmy: But sir..
Gates; we must Change our plans NOW
Jimmy: But sir.. Bob ..
Gates: [interrupts] who's bob?
Jimmy: Bob.. the guy who gave you the idea
Gates: {interrupts] Ohh bob, yes Bob that fudger..hmm right. yeah..now what about Bob
Jimmy: Well Bob released this idea to the public. We have to follow through.
Gates: but he has no control over media, he is a design giver.
Jimmy: No sir he is in in charge of the media
Gates: He said he was a design giver
Jimmy: [mouth wide open]
Gates: so he isn't a design giver, he lied to me. Grrr
Jimmy: Sir we must do something about it.
Gates: No we can't. If we go back, the media will crush us and declare apple a winner, we cannot let that happen.
Jimmy: so what should we do then sir?
Gates: Well We have to do what the media says- we give them Bob's idea.
Jimmy: But sir, we will be a laughing stock in the media, in Apple, in Google! Hell the Chinese people will be laughing at us.
Gates: Well let them laugh for now. We will make an incredible OS
[Later on, when Windows 8 dev. is released]
spectre51: [On MR] So umm how do we shut this thing exactly?
[At Gates' office:]
Jimmy: Sir Sir, look what this Apple fan has written on this site: "MacRumors"
Gates: you are trailing over Mac stuff, you fool
Jimmy[ Eyes open wide] Oh no sir [starts to panic] I just was looking at this Windows on Mac section to see how many rebels we have
Gates: rebels huh? ok thats good. Good work there soldier
Jimmy: [shrugs]
Gates: so do we have a Mac Rumors too? I absolutely love their design, and the color is so beautiful, its so appealing to the eyes and one's personality
Jimmy: Well sir, we dont have a macrumors page since its for macs. But Sir on the bright side we have a Win Rumors page! See.
Gates: Jimmy, stop wasting my time. you know im very busy.
Jimmy: [turns pink] Oh yes sir. Sorry Sir. Oh right, sir. Umm. oh right. Sir. There has been a question posted by Macrumors member spectre51
Gates: that sounds like a cool name, go on.
Jimmy: Well sir, apparently he can't figure out how to shut down.
Gates. What! that's ridiculous. All you have to do is hold the power button. Duhhh!
Jimmy: Actually no sir.
Gates: What? What kind of lousy OS is that. Has no start button
Jimmy: Sir, that's our OS.
Gates: Oh right. hmm
Jimmy: it says here though that a DopeyFish has given instructions on hwo to shut down.
Gates: [eyes and ears "perk" up] Oh really. He has figured out a way. Hmm contact him. We can have a spy in their department. muhahaha
Jimmy: Sir its a public forum. See my user name: MacLobeyDubey.. hah that way they have no clue who is who.
Gates: No. create a new account that says WindowsLobeyDobey. That sounds cooler and accurate and more secretive.
Jimmy: oh and sire look at what aziatiklover said. We could call it the charm menu bar.
Gates: [seems to ignore Jimmy] Wait. I have an idea. What if we call that the Charm Menu Bar. It's perfect. It will appeal to the people, their eyes, their souls. their CHARM!!
Jimmy: Umm sir
Gates: [starts to do a robot dance]...

END
lol this started out as a short thing, but ideas just kept popping into my head so i just wrote wrote wrote.
BTW: no offense to anyone, this was clearly a joke. I'm a PC and a Mac so i am rather neutral, but making fun of Microsoft is much easier and funner then making fun of Apple, cuz Apple only has overexpensive stuff that looks amazing. lol
If you would like me to remove it, i would be happy to do so. just let me know though :D

Last edited:

Cunkc3nkb4l1

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2011
Install Windows 8 in Macbook Pro OS X Lion with Bootcamp

Its install fine but, no Sound, No Wireless No keyboard backlight, so i deleted for now, not worth it if no internet etc

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
I have tried to install it twice now first .iso came up with cd/DVD drivers needed. The second time it gets to expanding windows files and just hangs at 1%. Downloading it for the 3rd time :/

naix

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
Its just install automatically with Partition for windows. What is mean with bootcamp driver?

If you have lion it should tell you to download bootcamp drivers at bootcamp assistant. Download it and burn it to usb or cd.

If you have snow leopard you have to use your snow leopard disk to install the bootcamp drivers. After you install windows 8 put in your snow leopard cd and install bootcamp drivers.

Cunkc3nkb4l1

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2011
If you have lion it should tell you to download bootcamp drivers at bootcamp assistant. Download it and burn it to usb or cd.

If you have snow leopard you have to use your snow leopard disk to install the bootcamp drivers. After you install windows 8 put in your snow leopard cd and install bootcamp drivers.

I have Lion, but bootcamp doesn't tell me to make any Bootcamp Drivers, i just read apple instruction but i dont know yet how to make the Bootcamp Drivers. Can you help me?? :)

Smoother

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2010
Atl
Could anyone tell me a reason to why the tiles wouldn't be working and how you type a questionmark using virtualbox.

naix

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
here is the screen shot. Go to bootcamp assistant... This is what I see when I open bootcamp assistant. If you dont see it try to download it somewhere else.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-18 at 2.54.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-18 at 2.54.03 PM.png
    482 KB · Views: 152
  • Screen Shot 2011-09-18 at 2.54.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-18 at 2.54.18 PM.png
    490.6 KB · Views: 248

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
workaround for parallels 7 black screen of nothign

ok this was posted somewhere in the MR forums so the credit goes to that person, whomever he/she is... luckily i saved the parallels link so here it is:
Parallels_Support_Team said:
Workaround for issue with black screen in Windows 8 with guest tools installed.

Shut down virtual machine.
Open [Virtual Machine Configuration > Hardware > Boot Order] and locate [Boot flags].
In [Boot flags] write:

devices.video.pci_device_id=0x5005;

Run virtual machine. Install Parallels Tools (if not yet).

Known issues with that workaround: Coherence, Dynamic Resolution, Smart Mouse (Sliding Mouse) will not work.

However, Smart Mouse (Sliding Mouse) can be enabled manually.
Open [Virtual Machine Configuration > Options > Advanced] and set [Smart Mouse] to [On].
This will allow Smart Mouse to work in Windows 8 even when described workaround applied.
Link to Post in Parallel's Forum

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.