PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tint of Screen

B.Chang
Sep 13, 2011, 08:14 PM
Hello,

So after getting my MBA, my friend was so impressed by it that he got one too. We both have the 11" models however our screens look VERY different.

When next to each other on full brightness his has this yellow tint to it.
I heard about the different display rage, and I checked and he has a LG and I have a Samsung.

Would this yellow tint be because of this display difference or because there is a flaw in his MBA? I ask since he can still take it back as he just got it not even a week ago, but I feel like taking it back simply because it's a difference in screen brand would not be appropriate, especially if he ends up with the same display issue.

Thanks,
Brian

IngerMan
Sep 13, 2011, 08:25 PM
I would take it back. I compared many screens with both displays. You should not be able to tell the difference. I have had both displays and found them equal. If it is obvious then something is off. First make sure under system preference, displays, color tab that he has Color LCD chosen.

Brandon0448
Sep 13, 2011, 09:42 PM
Yeah I would have him check his settings. I just checked mine and found that I had a strange color profile selected and it left a yellowish tint. I don't remember calibrating my screen ever so I'm not sure how it got there. I never even really noticed it, looks much better on default settings though.

rhinosrcool
Sep 13, 2011, 10:09 PM
My mba has an LG (really nice screen) and absolutely no yellow tint.

vitzr
Sep 13, 2011, 10:11 PM
Return it ASAP, the Yellow Tint is a known issue. Apple will replace it.

mikethebigo
Sep 13, 2011, 10:54 PM
I've actually noticed that overall LG's typically have whiter whites than Samsungs, that have a slightly more yellow "natural" tint to their whites. If the LG is noticeably more yellow, you can have a genius look at it. You can also always try calibrating the display.

mopppish
Sep 14, 2011, 09:13 AM
I thought mine had a yellow tint, too.
Until I just started using and enjoying it.
When I put it side-by-side with my work 15" High Res MBP, yeah the Air looks yellower/warmer/whatever.
But when I just use the Air by itself for a while, I don't notice any problem.
In fact, now when I use the MBP, it looks startlingly white/cool to me.
Both displays show a little bit of yellow gradient as you move towards the bottom. The funny thing is that the middle of the Air's display and the lower third (except for the very bottom) of the MBP display are a lovely, neutral (maybe barely warm) white. Too bad they can't get the whole display to look like that!