PDA

View Full Version : Bringing An Old Mac Online

lifeinhd
Sep 13, 2011, 10:30 PM
I have a question not about a PowerPC Mac, but rather about a Motorola Mac. Perhaps this section is the wrong place for this post, and if so, please forgive me.

I'm trying to connect my PowerBook 180 to the Internet. It has a built-in modem. I also have a PowerMac G5 with a built-in modem. I thought I would be able to use the built-in-to-OS X Internet Connection Sharing to allow me to connect my PowerBook to the PowerMac via a phone cable and share the PowerMac's Ethernet connection. However, it seems I can only use Internet Connection Sharing to share via Ethernet, Firewire, or Airport. Is there any way I can share over the modem? Thanks!

Intell
Sep 13, 2011, 10:37 PM
You can't share the internet over the modem. The easiest (only) way for you to get internet into that old 180 is by using the modem and an ISP. Most high speed ISP's have a backup dialup line that is provided free with your high speed internet.

lifeinhd
Sep 13, 2011, 10:48 PM
Is this a hardware or a software limitation?

I'd contact my ISP, but I'm on my school's network-- I don't think they'd be too happy with me going ahead and asking their ISP to activate their backup dialup line :p

Intell
Sep 13, 2011, 10:50 PM
Is this a hardware or a software limitation?

Not sure about that. My guess, is that its a software limitation that can't be circumvented.

burnout8488
Sep 13, 2011, 11:14 PM
Your school might even BE it's own ISP, depending on the size. But, if it's a school, they probably don't have a dialup line available for students.

I have RoadRunner, which provides free dialup numbers for access when you're not at home.

There are a couple websites with free dialup access numbers somewhere out there, too.