PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Lion is the reason Crucial is out of stock on RAM....

quickmac
Sep 13, 2011, 10:32 PM
I just went to Crucial's website to order 8GB of RAM for my Macbook Pro because since upgrading to Lion OS X I frequently see over 90% of my 4GB of RAM in use. The system lags, freezes, programs don't work, graphics glitch, etc.

I did a clean install, turned off some features, and still the RAM hogging continues. I understand Lion is new and Apple will eventually release updates to fix some of these major problems, but still it seems doubling RAM will relieve some of the issues until then.

And Crucial is out of stock, telling me that many people are rushing to upgrade RAM on their Macbook Pros to deal with the RAM usage problems in Lion.

Snowguy
Sep 13, 2011, 11:38 PM
I'm running Lion on a 2007 iMac and at the moment I have iChat, several browser windows open (Chrome), and iTunes with music streaming.. as well as Mail open.. and I'm using 1.99GB of RAM (out of 4GB)...

I only get bogged down if I start streaming video in multiple web pages and try to run a game or something.

But I keep all of my media on external drives with only the OS and Apps installed on my internal HDD (500GB with 300GB free space).

I saw Lion as an improvement.. and since I got my magic trackpad, it's been awesome.

I'm not saying you're lying.. and I'm sure Lion is a memory hog on some systems... but my experience has been great.

Try downloading MemoryFreer from the App Store (like 99 cents I think). The only times my system has been bogged down I had upwards of 1GB of tied up, but unused memory. You can free the memory and even set the app up so it alerts you if you have more than a specified amount of unused memory tied up. It also shows the amount of memory taken up in a tidy little pie graph in the toolbar.

CK1Czar
Sep 14, 2011, 12:18 AM
Lion made me upgrade my ram

egi
Sep 14, 2011, 05:59 AM
ordered 2x4gb sticks of crucial today. lion eats up significantly more ram than SL did.

SR45
Sep 14, 2011, 06:47 AM
Before upgrading my ram, I had only 2 GB upon arrival and used it for a few hours without issues for the simple tasks that I was doing. Went up to a 4 GB stick I had from another system and that was used for a number of days without any slow downs with a Word program open, Safari, and some music playing in the background.

Don't know why some of you are having issues with Lion/Memory, but I don't see it on my system. I now have upgraded to 8 GB of ram since it is so darn cheap. Perhaps you have other background application open that are not necessary :confused:

St. Germain
Sep 14, 2011, 09:12 AM
Lion made me upgrade my ram

Me too. Very happy with 8GB of RAM now.

samgraveno
Sep 14, 2011, 10:01 AM
I upgraded to Crucials 8GB too. I had Lion installed with 4GB and then upgraded to the 8GB. Was there anything else I needed to do after installing the new memory?

Mackilroy
Sep 14, 2011, 11:20 AM
<snip>
Sounds more like a problem with your computer than Lion. Anyhow, correlation doesn't equal causation. I have 6GB compared to your 4, but even then I don't have over three and a half gigs of memory in continual use.