PDA

View Full Version : lion seems to be getting worse for me over time

stevemiller
Sep 13, 2011, 11:25 PM
i'm not trying to be inflammatory here, but it's getting ridiculous.

-when i open an image in finder, preview launches or becomes active, but about 75% of the time the image doesn't actually open, i have to double click the image sometimes 3 or 4 more tries before it finally opens. the images are small and i'm on an ssd, so i'm quite certain its not a drive access lag.

-when sorting by file type, the headings for, "images", "pdfs" etc. regularly get screwed up and display as unclickable folders rather than headings.

-recently finder has started "missing" files. i.e. you open a folder and it only shows some of the files in that folder. if you do a spotlight search, it shows that the files do in fact exist in the location you were looking. there is no rhyme or reason to what it is missing, either. i had a 200 frame image sequence in a folder, and it showed a random subset of them (like frames 1,8,10,32,45,120, etc). checking back several minutes later, they all showed up again.

-mission control regularly gets all glitchy so you can't see your spaces. or sometimes when you click a window, it starts to come forward and then bounces right back. again, i'll end up clicking 3 or 4 times before it finally becomes active.

the list just goes on and on like this. and while i know new OS = some bugs, the sheer volume of these constant little frustrations is just wearing me down. my lion install was from a clean slate - booted & formatted from the installer. i've tried fixing permissions, but the glitchiness continues no matter what.

i recently got my mom onto a mac, and to be honest i'm questioning whether i really did her much of a favour in doing so. these days OSX no longer "just works" :(

mrsir2009
Sep 14, 2011, 01:30 AM
Have you downloaded all the updates? Because I haven't experienced any of that stuff, and I don't even have the benefit of a SSD.

Washac
Sep 14, 2011, 03:13 AM
i'm not trying to be inflammatory here, but it's getting ridiculous.

-when i open an image in finder, preview launches or becomes active, but about 75% of the time the image doesn't actually open, i have to double click the image sometimes 3 or 4 more tries before it finally opens. the images are small and i'm on an ssd, so i'm quite certain its not a drive access lag.

-when sorting by file type, the headings for, "images", "pdfs" etc. regularly get screwed up and display as unclickable folders rather than headings.

-recently finder has started "missing" files. i.e. you open a folder and it only shows some of the files in that folder. if you do a spotlight search, it shows that the files do in fact exist in the location you were looking. there is no rhyme or reason to what it is missing, either. i had a 200 frame image sequence in a folder, and it showed a random subset of them (like frames 1,8,10,32,45,120, etc). checking back several minutes later, they all showed up again.

-mission control regularly gets all glitchy so you can't see your spaces. or sometimes when you click a window, it starts to come forward and then bounces right back. again, i'll end up clicking 3 or 4 times before it finally becomes active.

the list just goes on and on like this. and while i know new OS = some bugs, the sheer volume of these constant little frustrations is just wearing me down. my lion install was from a clean slate - booted & formatted from the installer. i've tried fixing permissions, but the glitchiness continues no matter what.

i recently got my mom onto a mac, and to be honest i'm questioning whether i really did her much of a favour in doing so. these days OSX no longer "just works" :(

Hello

Have to second this, Lion has me tearing my hair out, as you say other OS's just worked.

tkermit
Sep 14, 2011, 05:25 AM
While I haven't noticed that specific behavior, Preview.app as well as Textedit.app appear to be fairly buggy for me at this point. Sandboxing seems likely to blame here. For example, I've had this error window come up a lot of times when I attempt to close an untitled document. I'm still allowed to save the document though:

http://f.cl.ly/items/451g311B1u3d3c2O0l21/shot.jpg

I can certainly reproduce that.

I seem to lose the space bar functionality after a while, so I can't zoom into a window anymore.

OS X releases tend to only start "just working" after a x.2 or x.3 update :o

Riemann Zeta
Sep 14, 2011, 02:01 PM
While I don't have that many bugs with the latest (11C55) build of 10.7.2, I must say that Lion completely and utterly ruined Preview.app for me. In Lion, Preview is slow, takes a lot longer to launch/open files and is sidled with the utterly infuriating and stupid "Autosave" behavior that cannot be turned off. This results in data loss because Preview overwrites my image files (which, for a lossy file format like JPG, slowly kills the quality) without any sort of consent from me. But of course, if I activate the "file locking" setting and lock-out every file older than 24 hrs, then I can't do anything with Preview (rotation, zooming, brightness enhancing, etc...).

Honestly, if I could delete Lion's version of Preview.app and run the older Snow Leo version, it would help make Lion a lot more tolerable. In addition to the mandatory autosave being a pain in the ass, it sucks that Apple now forces Preview to be sandboxed, making it slower (both in terms of launch time and in terms of performance browsing through large PDFs or folders full of images).

holdthemayo
Sep 14, 2011, 03:05 PM
Preview and Textedit just bounce when I try to load them. I used to use textedit all the time and naturally preview for any pdf viewing. Not anymore they both lock up on me. I was forced to load acrobat reader to get by. I hope they fix this soon.