Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Hi everyone...I just wanted to explain the scenario real fast and see if anyone would have any idea what is wrong with my PowerBook and a possible estimate of how much I am looking at on repairing the computer. I obviously know the source of the problem, because I accidentally spilled some vodka on it one night when I was a little drunk....oops. If the computer is off and unplugged and I go to turn it on, you can hear it power up for a second, and then it will make the sound as if you forced it to shut down, because everything stops suddenly on the inside. Then, if I have it plugged in, it will usually turn on, but I have to use my Bluetooth keyboard because some of the keys are messed up, and sometimes the computer goes out of control by dimming the display as if I were turning down the brightness. Then other times, it will act just fine and then suddenly turn off after a little while, but it won't turn off all the way. I can hear a slight clicking sound coming from the speakers and a thin white line at the bottom of the display. Any insight into what the hell I could have done to this, and how much I am looking at...It is a 15" Aluminum PB @ 1GHz and standard RAM. Thanks a lot everyone!

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Disconnect all Power NOW!!!!

Doesn't sound too good mate.

You may have done more harm by turning it on again. If I were you I would rip the battery out ASAP and just leave it for a few days in a warm (not hot) place. Seeing that Vodka has a high percentage of alcohol, I suppose it is better tha water being spilt on it.

After a few days have gone by attempt to turn it back on and see what happens or even better, take it to an Applecentre and let them turn it on and see. It really depends on how daring you are.

Good luck!!

aussie_geek

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
mmm

nice my bro spilled coffe on my prev pb the logic board was ok but i would carry out the suggestion above and hope u have not fried the powerboard £80 here in uk and a replaced keyboard here is £105 have a look at powerbook central for us prices but you are looking at 250$ if ur logic board is fine and u do the work yourself if not i would estimate 400$ for the above parts fitted by a pro minus logic board which is probably 600-900$ !!

now is a good time to pray :)

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
I guess I should have specified that this happened back in July...so the PowerBook is quite dry at this point, lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.