PDA

View Full Version : Sell 2011 MBA with Lion

Oldandintheway
Sep 14, 2011, 03:06 PM
I'm considering selling my MBA with Lion. If the new buyer registers the computer in his or her name, will they be able to download iLife applications from the app store with their apple id? If I do a clean install of Lion, when they first start it up will they be able to change the ownership of the computer to themselves? Anybody bought a used 2011 MBA?

Lokheed
Sep 14, 2011, 03:27 PM
I'm considering selling my MBA with Lion. If the new buyer registers the computer in his or her name, will they be able to download iLife applications from the app store with their apple id? If I do a clean install of Lion, when they first start it up will they be able to change the ownership of the computer to themselves? Anybody bought a used 2011 MBA?

Not if you've already merged them with your current Apple ID, no.

Oldandintheway
Sep 14, 2011, 09:57 PM
So I own the computer but not the software. I can sell the computer but the new owner won't have any ownership or access to the software.

Lokheed
Sep 14, 2011, 10:29 PM
Sure they will, just not anything explicitly connected to the Mac App Store (Garage Band, iPhoto, and iMovie). Lion is tied to the physical machine, no worries there, as is the warranty.

But once they buy the unit and set up Lion, log into the MAS, they will be greeted with the opportunity to register the 3 iLife apps with their account. And when they try to do that, it won't let 'em. They might feel a bit cheated...